This Chinese brush painting session is a mixed ability class, suitable for experienced artists looking to experiment with a different technique, or beginners looking to create graceful and simple paintings.
***To avoid a booking fee and pay by card, cheque or cash, please contact dot-art Services directly on 0345 017 6660***
Monday 6 July, 11:00 – 5pm £50 for 1 day workshop
- This session will begin with a brief history of Chinese art looking at the main ways it differs from Western painting styles
- This will be followed by a demonstration of brush technique, correct handling and posture, leading to the first exercise which will finish in you painting a long flowing orchid stem, adding simple orchid flowers
- The second exercise teaches more techniques focusing on ink and dilution, adding watercolour
- You will then paint the “Four Gentlemen” – four plants used to teach the fundamental elements of Chinese brush painting: the plum blossom (梅), the bamboo (竹), and the chrysanthemum (菊) (the other plant is the orchid (蘭) previously used in exercise 1)
- We will look at what different trees and flowers represent in Chinese culture: e.g. strength, peace, purity etc
- We will also look at Chinese calligraphy and have a go at writing in Chinese using our paintbrushes
- From a number of different visual stimuli, we will choose our own subject matter to create a more detailed painting using the techniques we have learned, with demonstration from the artist, feedback and group critiques
Tutor: Madeleine Pires
Spring/Summer Programme 2020, Monday 6th July 2020, 11am-5pm
Calderstones Mansion House,
Liverpool L18 3JB
£50 for 1 day workshop
You will need to bring some of your own materials for the duration of the course. Materials lists will be provided 2-3 weeks before the course begins. If you require this list earlier, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are a maximum of 15 places available on each session, so early booking is essential.
To avoid a booking fee and pay by card, cheque or cash, please contact dot-art Services directly on 0345 017 6660.
Cancellations / Refunds
Once you have made your course booking your are committed to it. This is because our courses have very small student numbers, and often sell-out and are unavailable to others. Therefore any cancellations may result in a place not being filled, or a course not being able to run.
Cancellations are permitted up to 30 days before the start of a course, and a full refund will be issued. Refunds will not be made for cancellations less than 30 days before the start of a course. If you are unable to attend due to illness, personal or professional commitments you do not have the right to a refund.
If you wish to cancel your place on a course that has not yet started and you have a friend or colleague who can take your place we can accommodate this substitution.