Collective Encounters (Online): Political Engagement in Youth Arts Practice
This two hour event will explore political engagement in youth arts practice from a UK and international perspective.
This online seminar will introduce participants to:
• Diverse and international approaches to using the arts as a means to engaging young people in political concepts and ideas.
• Explore the ethical challenges of this type of work.
• Creative and practical exercises that can be used to introduce young people to political ideas and concepts.
• The benefits of using youth arts practice to explore political concepts and ideas.
• Appropriate campaigning networks and bodies.
The session will be led by Matthew Elliott. Matthew recently completed his PhD in “Embodying Critical Engagement: Experiments with politics, theatre and young people in the UK and Chile”. Matthew studied Community Theatre at LIPA, and hols an MA in Theatre and Global Development at Leeds University. As well as working for Collective Encounters, Matthew is also a lecturer in Community Theatre at LIPA and works collaboratively with Colectivo Sustento in Chile and Lagnet in Kenya.