Dates: 06/02/2018 - 10/04/2018
Times: 19:30 - 21:00
Jewellery Making in Metal
by dot-art Services
Learn the basic techniques of jewellery making and make a piece of jewellery each week! Includes how to use a jeweller’s piercing saw, drilling, filing and polishing metal correctly and how to create colour, texture and patinas on metal.
***To avoid a booking fee and pay by card, cheque or cash, please contact dot-art Services directly on 0345 017 6660***
Tuesdays 7:30 – 9pm starting 6th February 2018 (£180 for 10 sessions)
Week 1: Basic Sawing and Drilling
- Learn how to install a saw blade into a piercing saw frame.
- Learn about the different blades and which to use for different materials.
- Practice the correct grip of the saw and learn how to cut metal using a jewellers piercing saw.
- Learn how to use a drill and it’s uses in cutting shapes in metal.
Week 2: Fretwork Piercing, Filing and Sanding
- Create a design to cut out of metal, using the techniques practiced in week 1.
- Incorporate sawing curves and straight lines in the design.
- Introduction to files and their correct uses.
- Learn about the different grades of wet and dry sandpaper to sand and polish metal.
Week 3: Making an Impression
- Experiment with creating textures in metal using centre punches and hammers.
- Use the surrounding environment to find and create textures on the surface of sheet metal.
Week 4: Tabs – Trapping Objects
- Create a pendant by cutting tabs into the sheet metal in order to trap objects to create a pendant.
Week 5: Earrings and Findings
- Learn the correct use of different jewellery findings.
- Make your own earring hooks, eyepins and headpins.
- Design and make a pair of earrings hung on earring hooks you have made.
Week 6: Slotted Pendant
- Using a slot system to create a 3D pendant
Week 7: Rings
- Create a selection of adjustable rings in different designs and textures.
Week 8: Design Your Own Jewellery
- Design a piece of jewellery to create.
- Taking inspiration from all the techniques learnt from the previous weeks.
- Learn how to transfer the design onto your chosen metal.
- Practice and experiment the techniques that are going to be used in the final jewellery design.
Week 9 & 10: Create and complete final jewellery design.
Tutor: Helen Leigh Dolan
“I am an artist jeweller with a degree in Design. I run my own business, creating hand-made modern, minimalist pieces. All of my work is individually made using traditional techniques in my home studio. I mainly work in silver, copper and aluminium, allowing the hand of the maker to be seen in each piece. My jewellery can be found in a number of shops and galleries around Liverpool.
I have always loved art, craft and creativity and from a young age I was never without a sketchbook in my hand. This love of creating led to my gaining a degree in design at Liverpool Hope University. Here I experienced a number of craft disciplines; textiles, ceramics, woodwork, but specialised in silversmithing and metalwork with which I completely fell in love!”
Winter Session 2018, Tuesday evenings from 7:30pm – 9pm
6th, 13th, 20th, 27th February
6th, 13th, 20th, 27th March
3rd, 10th April
Bluecoat, School Lane, Liverpool, L1 3BX
Situated in the centre of Liverpool, just behind Church Street, down Church Alley and in front of Liverpool ONE. You can enter the building via the front courtyard off School Lane, or through the garden at the back off College Lane. Nearest train station- Liverpool Central.
£180 for the 10 week course (full course must be booked in advance)
It is possible to split this cost into two payments of £90, please call 0345 017 6660 for more details.
All materials and tools are provided.
- There are a maximum of 15 places available on the course, so early booking is essential.
- To avoid a booking fee and pay by card, cheque or cash, please contact dot-art Services directly on 0345 017 6660.