Venue: The Reader Gallery
Times: 11:00 - 17:00
Explore the history of Chinese Painting techniques with artist Madeleine Pires.
This Chinese brush painting session is a mixed ability class, suitable for experienced artists looking to experiment with a different technique, or beginners looking to create graceful and simple paintings.
***To avoid a booking fee and pay by card, cheque or cash, please contact dot-art Services directly on 0345 017 6660***
Sunday 6 December, 11 – 5pm (£50 for 1 day workshop)
- This session will begin with a brief history of Chinese art looking at the main ways it differs from Western painting styles
- This will be followed by a demonstration of brush technique, correct handling and posture, leading to the first exercise which will finish in you painting a long flowing orchid stem, adding simple orchid flowers
- The second exercise teaches more techniques focusing on ink and dilution, adding watercolour
- You will then paint the “Four Gentlemen” – four plants used to teach the fundamental elements of Chinese brush painting: the plum blossom (梅), the bamboo (竹), and the chrysanthemum (菊) (the other plant is the orchid (蘭) previously used in exercise 1)
- We will look at what different trees and flowers represent in Chinese culture: e.g. strength, peace, purity etc
- We will also look at Chinese calligraphy and have a go at writing in Chinese using our paintbrushes
- From a number of different visual stimuli, we will choose our own subject matter to create a more detailed painting using the techniques we have learned, with a demonstration from the artist, feedback and group critiques
Tutor: Madeleine Pires
Autumn Programme 2020, Sunday 6 December, 11 – 5pm
Calderstones Mansion House,
Liverpool L18 3JB
£50 for 1 day workshop
You will need to bring some of your own materials for the duration of the course. Materials lists will be provided 2-3 weeks before the course begins. If you require this list earlier, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are a maximum of 8 places available on each session, so early booking is essential.
To avoid a booking fee and pay by card, cheque or cash, please contact dot-art Services directly on 0345 017 6660.
We have introduced a range of safety measures to keep everyone as safe and comfortable as possible. We ask everyone to please respect social distancing guidelines, all staff will be keeping their distance too.
Regular cleaning and santizing measures will be in place.
Cancellations / Refunds
Once you have made your course booking you are committed to it. This is because our courses have very small student numbers, and often sell-out and are unavailable to others. Therefore any cancellations may result in a place not being filled, or a course not being able to run.
Cancellations are permitted up to 30 days before the start of a course, and a full refund will be issued. Refunds will not be made for cancellations less than 30 days before the start of a course. If you are unable to attend due to illness, personal or professional commitments you do not have the right to a refund.
If you wish to cancel your place on a course that has not yet started and you have a friend or colleague who can take your place we can accommodate this substitution.