Times: 18:45 - 21:00
Jewellery Making in Metal
Learn the basic techniques of jewellery making and make a piece of jewellery each week! Includes how to use a jeweller’s piercing saw, drilling, filing and polishing metal correctly and how to create colour, texture and patinas on metal.
***To avoid a booking fee and pay by card, cheque or cash, please contact dot-art Services directly on 0345 017 6660***
Tuesdays 6:45pm – 9pm starting 22nd May 2018 (£220 for 10 sessions)
Week 1: Basic Sawing and Drilling
- Learn how to install a saw blade into a piercing saw frame.
- Learn about the different blades and which to use for different materials.
- Practice the correct grip of the saw and learn how to cut metal using a jewellers piercing saw.
- Learn how to use a drill and it’s uses in cutting shapes in metal.
Week 2: Fretwork Piercing, Filing and Sanding
- Create a design to cut out of metal, using the techniques practiced in week 1.
- Incorporate sawing curves and straight lines in the design.
- Introduction to files and their correct uses.
- Learn about the different grades of wet and dry sandpaper to sand and polish metal.
Week 3: Making an Impression
- Experiment with creating textures in metal using centre punches and hammers.
- Use the surrounding environment to find and create textures on the surface of sheet metal.
Week 4: Tabs – Trapping Objects
- Create a pendant by cutting tabs into the sheet metal in order to trap objects to create a pendant.
Week 5: Earrings and Findings
- Learn the correct use of different jewellery findings.
- Make your own earring hooks, eyepins and headpins.
- Design and make a pair of earrings hung on earring hooks you have made.
Week 6: Slotted Pendant
- Using a slot system to create a 3D pendant
Week 7: Rings
- Create a selection of adjustable rings in different designs and textures.
Week 8: Design Your Own Jewellery
- Design a piece of jewellery to create.
- Taking inspiration from all the techniques learnt from the previous weeks.
- Learn how to transfer the design onto your chosen metal.
- Practice and experiment the techniques that are going to be used in the final jewellery design.
Week 9 & 10: Create and complete final jewellery design.
Tutor: Professional artist and tutor Amy Ridyard
“I graduated in 2014 from Staffordshire University with a BA Hons in Three dimensional contemporary design where I specialised in metal-smithing. Prior to this I studied woodwork for my foundation degree and graduated with a distinction. I set up my own jewellery business in 2011 and have successfully sold my designs ever since.”
Amy has exhibited and taken part in events nationally and internationally and her work has been recognised by leading publications and curators.
Spring Session 2018, Tuesday evenings from 6:45pm – 9pm
22nd, 29th May
5th, 12th, 19th, 26th June
3rd, 10th, 17th, 24th July
Bluecoat, School Lane, Liverpool, L1 3BX
Situated in the centre of Liverpool, just behind Church Street, down Church Alley and in front of Liverpool ONE. You can enter the building via the front courtyard off School Lane, or through the garden at the back off College Lane. Nearest train station- Liverpool Central.
£220 for the 10 week course (full course must be booked in advance)
It is possible to split this cost into two payments of £110, please call 0345 017 6660 for more details.
All materials and tools are provided.
- There are a maximum of 15 places available on the course, so early booking is essential.
- To avoid a booking fee and pay by card, cheque or cash, please contact dot-art Services directly on 0345 017 6660.
Cancellations / Refunds
Once you have made your course booking your are committed to it. This is because our courses have very small student numbers, and often sell-out and are unavailable to others. Therefore any cancellations may result in a place not being filled, or a course not being able to run.
Cancellations are permitted up to 30 days before the start of a course, and a full refund will be issued. Refunds will not be made for cancellations less than 30 days before the start of a course. If you are unable to attend due to illness, personal or professional commitments you do not have the right to a refund.
If you wish to cancel your place on a course that has not yet started and you have a friend or colleague who can take your place we can accommodate this substitution.