The Witching Hour
17-19 May 2019
Project Title – The Witching Hour
The Witching Hour is a brand-new outdoor performance commissioned for Wirral and Hull – two amazing locations each using culture to breathe energy into place and connect communities.
In 2019, Wirral became Liverpool City Region’s 2019 Borough of Culture, whilst Absolutely Cultured continues to build on the success of Hull UK City of Culture 2017.
Designed to connect people and inspire imagination, the performance explores stories of local wise women, magical mythical characters and childhood memories from Birkenhead Park in Wirral and East Park in Hull. The Witching Hour will engage audiences across the country in a unique and shared experience, weaving a story between the two locations.
The Witching Hour will immerse the audience in tales of alchemy and legend, brought to life with spellbinding theatre, magic and wonder. It will be free to the public, performed at Birkenhead Park and will feature live performance, a specially commissioned soundtrack, theatrical lighting, fire, pyrotechnics and promenading action taking place in and around the audience.
We are looking for volunteers to help us with front of house management of this really exciting event in Birkenhead Park, making it even more special for the audience.
We’re looking for people to volunteer and help us manage The Witching Hour.
This role may include:
- Providing information to audiences.
- Wayfinding – assisting visitors to find the location of the event.
- Assisting audience members with access requirements.
- Invigilating the event, helping us to ensure that audiences are getting the best experience of the performance.
- Light participation, for example carrying a lantern or ringing a bell.
- Inspiring curiosity and encouraging people from the area to come along and bring their family for a magical evening of spellbinding theatre, magic and wonder.
Ideal skills and attributes of the volunteers supporting you?
We are looking for volunteers with
- A sense of fun.
- A willingness to get involved.
- Clear communication and pleasant manner with audience members.
- Confidence in dealing with large audience numbers.
- A want to create a night of magic!
- A happy and friendly disposition.
The show will be taking place after dark and outdoors, so confidence in these situations is essential.
Please dress in black or dark colours, ensuring that you are wearing warm, comfortable shoes and warm, waterproof clothing as this event will go ahead in all weathers.
You will be provided with high-vis vests depending on where you are positioned.
There will be a secure room will for you to store belongings, however we suggest that you don’t bring any valuables, and instead wear a small bag that you can carry with your or keep your keys, phone and wallet/purse in your coat pockets.
Dates & Times of Shifts and Number of Volunteers Needed
We need 24 volunteers per shift for the below dates.
Please note that ALL volunteers signed up to shift MUST be able to attend the dress run of the performance on Thursday 16th of May where there shall be a mass briefing. Further details of meeting points will be circulated later.
Volunteers can sign up to any number of shifts.
THURSDAY 16th MAY – Compulsory for all volunteers.
8:30pm – 11pm (approx. finishing time.)
FRIDAY 17th MAY
8:30pm – 11pm
SATURDAY 18TH MAY
8:30pm – 11pm
SUNDAY 19TH MAY
8:30pm – 11pm
If you would like to take part in this exciting event, please contact email@example.com
FYI: Volunteers who are under eighteen need to email directly to Alison to discuss possibilities of inclusion.