Volunteer Coordinator, The Reader
- Closes 11th September 2019
- Type Part time
- Salary Paid (£15k-20k pro rata)
- Contact Kate Harrison email@example.com
We need somebody who has a deep connection with literature and experience working with children in the voluntary sector, to help us successfully deliver the outcomes of our 12 monthSuper Reading Heroesproject. This will be an incredibly varied role; The Volunteer Coordinator will be responsible for recruiting and supporting a group of volunteers who will be reading one to one with looked after children for a period of 6 months, as well as organising a series of ‘Big Days Out’ at Calderstones Park for those children taking part. As part of the wider Children and Young Persons team, you will also be responsible for planning and delivering an engaging and exciting summer school for the summer of 2020.
This project is funded by The Prince of Wales’ Charitable Trust and builds on our existing BBC Children in Need funded Reading Heroes project. Super Reading Heroes is a new way for us to continue to deliver a long standing commitment to reading with Looked After Children in the North West of England. We aim to raise standards in literacy through promoting reading for pleasure.
You will be required to:
- Support and mentor a team of trained volunteers, who will be reading one to one and in small groups with at least 40 looked after children in their home or community based settings between them
- Plan, organise and deliver an engaging and inspiring summer school programme for 24 young people. A summer school with exciting and creative Shared Reading activities at its core
- Coordinate and deliver a series of lively and enjoyable ‘Big Days Out’ at Calderstones for the young people engaged in the project
- Link children with any relevant additional initiatives provided by The Reader