I’d like to see more Liverpool galleries taking part in this scheme – the more the better.
The application period for galleries wishing to join the Own Art scheme is now open. The closing date for applications is 26 April 2010.
Who can apply?
Membership of the Own Art scheme is open to the following types of organisation:
- Commercial art galleries
- Not for profit galleries, museums and artists associations
- Local authority funded galleries and museums
- Specialist art colleges and higher education establishments
- Internet based galleries whose registered offices are based in England
Please note that we are unable to consider applications from individual artists or from businesses that promote the work of a single artist only.
Arts Council England wishes to encourage best practice in the art market for the benefit of artists, their agents and those that are interested in buying and collecting contemporary visual art and craft.
The following terms and conditions apply to all Own Art outlets and will be taken into consideration when assessing applications for membership.
Own Art galleries/outlets will be expected to:
- Specialise in the sale of work by living artists
- Regularly present work to the public either through a gallery venue or at events
- Maintain high standards of display, quality of work and information on the artists they represent
- Have a direct relationship and contract of sale with the artists they represent
- Pay a fair commission to artists and pay promptly once a sale has been processed
- Have trained staff that are informed about the artists and work they represent