Metal Liverpool – Connect / Exchange Residency opportunity
Metal is delighted to announce that we’re a host partner of Connect/Exchange – a national UK residency scheme for artists with a screen-based practice developed by Northern Film & Media.
Connect/Exchange supports artists with the initial research & development of a new project via a two-part residency, together with associated professional networking and events.
Metal Liverpool will support two artists who are pushing the boundaries of moving image, developing new, inspirational and challenging art. To coincide with our current programme we welcome applications from artists and filmmakers who identify their practice as being influenced by, but not limited to, the following contexts:
- Socially engaged: Work encouraging social interaction, which involves people and communities in debate and collaboration
- Sound and Music: Work experimenting with technical form and the interaction between music and sound in moving image
- Archive / social history: Work utilising historic documentation with an emphasis on social behaviour and/or social structures
- Progressive public realm formats / activist: Work interrogating to how public spaces can become outlets for creative and alternative forms of political, social and cultural expression, or address political or social issues in a site-specific context
Residency support and resources
We believe residencies are more rewarding when they are developed in partnership, and responsive to artists needs. The intensive week and broader residency period will therefore be designed in collaboration with successful applications. Below is an indication of the resources and support that will be made available:
- Access to Metal’s spaces at Edge Hill Station, studio/desk space, 50-seat engine room and upper engine room rehearsal space, Accumulation Tower exhibition space, a 23-seat performance/screening space, kitchen event space and public garden.
- Access to AV production suite (with 5:1 capacity, Logic, Ableton Live, Adobe Photoshop and Premier)
- Nurturing supportive environment, with a dedicated member of staff as your point of contact throughout your residency Metal’s community of studio and resident artists, and wider local community of artists and residents in Toxteth, Wavertree, Kensington and Edge Hill
- Brokered meetings with relevant cultural organisations in Liverpool, and access to wider networks of expertise through Metal’s regional, national and international partners and collaborators
- Tour of Liverpool’s thriving cultural scene. Currently we have no accommodation facilities in Liverpool but we can assist in helping you to find some (accommodation costs will be covered as part of the residency package)
- Involvement in our Kitchen events – where we invite artists to cook for our local community and our Future Station programme – an event series where resident artists share their practice with local artists.
Artists: One artist based in North East England, one artist based nationally
Fee: £2500, plus £500 materials, £500 travel and £1500 accommodation
Residency dates: Part One – week beginning 20th March. Part Two (flexible access) Up to six weeks between 27th March – 26th June 2017
Deadline: 10am, Monday 16th January 2017
Interviews: Monday 30th and Tuesday 31st January 2017
If you’re interested in applying for a residency with Metal Liverpool – please apply via the Connect/Exchange website, stating Metal Liverpool as your host partner. Residencies for 2017 will take place in NewcastleGateshead with The NewBridge Project and BALTIC 39, Metal in Liverpool, Stills in Edinburgh and Chapter in Cardiff, offering a total of eight places across the host partnering venues.
If you’d like to discuss any access requirements or support needs you may have prior to making an application to Metal Liverpool, please contact Mary Jane Edwards: email@example.com