Hours: 8 hours per week (flexible)
Starting salary: £12 per hour
Bonus: Free membership to use our fully equipped pottery studio
Deadline for applications: 22 May 2023
Altar Pottery is a community-oriented venture that provides regular classes, workshops and team building events. The studio also functions as a co-working members’ space where early and mid-career makers have the opportunity to learn and develop essential skills meanwhile exploring their individual creative practice.
We are looking to recruit a talented and committed individual with demonstrable experience in ceramics. Beyond the specific job requirements, we are looking for a team player who understands and champions the physical and mental health benefits of working with clay. Someone who has a passion for ceramics and has a natural ability to connect with people.
Job Duties / Responsibilities:
- Kiln maintenance: loading, unloading, firing, kiln shelf maintenance.
- Manage and oversee storage, drying and firing schedule of work produced by students and members
- Glaze and clay stock management: check inventory, top up glaze and slip buckets
- Glaze, slip and clay testing
- Recycling clay using a pug mill
- Glazing student’s work
- Assist in set-up and delivery of classes and workshops if required, and provide demonstrations when needed.
- Manage technician hours, personal administration and time sheets.
- Other tasks as mutually agreed.
The successful candidate must be able to clearly demonstrate how they meet the criteria outlined below.
- A minimum of 2 years of experience in the operation and monitoring of electrical machinery including: electric kiln, pug mill, potter’s wheel, extruder
- An in-depth understanding of standard ceramics processes and techniques: wedging, hand-building, throwing on the wheel, safe handling and mixing of raw materials
- Knowledge of studio health and safety procedures
- Formal qualification or work experience in Art / Ceramics.
- Prior experience working / volunteering within the creative sector
- Excellent communication skills and a friendly and caring attitude to others.
- Excellent computer and digital skills
- Self-motivated and proactive work ethic, with the ability to work well on your own initiative.
- Creative and artistic skills with a passion for ceramics, with a strong motivation to bring that passion to others.
- Passion for artistic development with the ability to contribute to organisational longer term artistic and strategic goals.
- Desire to learn and an openness to developing and furthering your skills and approaches.
Please send your CV and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Your cover letter should outline how you meet the person specification and why you would like to join our team.