Visitor Assistant (Weekend), National Museums Liverpool
Based at various venues including Lady Lever Art Gallery and Sudley House.
FULL DETAILS AND HOW TO APPLY HERE
National Museums Liverpool (NML) is one of the world’s great museum organisations. We hold in trust and safeguard some of the world’s most important museum collections, which are universal in their range.
NML currently comprises eight museums: International Slavery Museum, Lady Lever Art Gallery, Merseyside Maritime Museum, Museum of Liverpool, Sudley House, UK Border Agency National Museum, Walker Art Gallery, and World Museum.
Our Vision for Education and Visitor Services
We aim to deliver a high quality, positive and rewarding museum experience that will encourage children, young people and adults to gain the knowledge and skills they need to develop their educational attainment, cultural awareness and life chances.
To achieve this we recognise that we have a major part to play in understanding the needs of our local schools, communities and visitors. Our success will be demonstrated through the delivery of an excellent and seamless visitor experience that enables high levels of participation, national collaboration and international partnership.
Reporting to the Visitor Services Manager you will:
- Provide the highest possible standards of welcome and customer care to visitors at all times across NML by actively engaging, providing assistance and information.
- Enhance the visitor experience by providing an enjoyable safe, secure and comfortable environment.
- Provide operational assistance in support of other departments across the NML estate including NML Trading as required.
- Ensure the security of all premises preventing loss and damage to collection items
- Provide the best possible welcome to visitors at all times including information to visitors, orientation and basic details of exhibits, operating simple switchboards, ticket control, public address systems and personal radios.
- Work closely with colleagues across NML to ensure a seamless experience and consistent standards are delivered for all visitors to NML with reference to the visitor charter produced by Education and Visitors.
- Support education, communities, exhibitions, other departments and events as directed, both on and off site.
- Support for out of hours activities such as functions, private views and other events as required.
- Actively support volunteers and work placements within NML.
- Operate available equipment to ensure safety, comfort and security of visitors, colleagues, collections and premises
- Support visitor information services.
- Undertake inspections of areas prior to and during public opening hours as to ensure the safety, comfort and security of visitors, colleagues, collections and premises. Actively ensure that areas of work are clean and presentable to visitors at all times. Ensure that any information i.e. leaflets, guides, brochures etc in your area of work are stocked, relevant and date correct.
- Provide portering, housekeeping and work party duties in support of visitors and other departments across the NML estate including Trading as required.
- Assisting in the evacuation of visitors and staff from National Museums Liverpool buildings in an emergency or exercise situations.
- Undertake such training and attendance on courses and seminars which will assist in the development of skills which are relevant to the department this will include first aid training.
- Undertake any other duties as may be required from time to time.
- Show the highest integrity and confidentiality in the pursuance of these duties.
- Adhere to and promote NML’s Equality and Diversity, Safeguarding Vulnerable Children and Adults and Child Protection policies. Monitor and update the NML Diversity Action plan.
- A commitment to adhere to the standards expected of all public services as defined by the HM Treasury publication “Managing Public Money”. Those standards are honesty, impartiality, accountability, openness, accuracy, reliability, transparency, objectivity, integrity and fairness. These standards should be carried out in the spirit of, as well as the letter of, the law; in the public interest; to high ethical standards and achieving value for money.
- At all times display the upmost respect, tolerance and courtesy to the diverse richness of colleagues and visitors.
- To adhere to NML’s Health & Safety Policies and Procedures, and make a contribution to the continuance of a sound health and safety culture within the department.
The details contained in this job description reflect the content of this job at the date of being prepared. It is however possible that over time the nature of the job will change. Consequently National Museums Liverpool will expect to revise this job description from time to time and will consult with the post holder at the appropriate time.
Employee Specification Visitor Assistant
Experience Previous experience of working within a customer care environment – Desirable
Experience of working with the public – Essential
Experience of working as part of a team – Essential
Experience of working in a museum – Desirable
Knowledge and Skills
Excellent oral communication skills and an ability to interact with external customers – Essential
Courteous and friendly manner – Essential
Flexible approach and an ability to work with others – Desirable
Self-motivated – Essential
Ability to work at short notice – including weekends and bank holidays – Essential
Able to work evening functions and special events – Essential
Demonstrable commitment to and understanding of equality and diversity and social inclusion – Essential