NCS THE CHALLENGE
Location London, Surrey, Buckinghamshire & Berkshire, West Midlands, Manchester, Lancashire or Yorkshire
Salary £255 per 3 day role
Closes 21 Feb 2017
Photography Practitioners support up to twelve young people during the NCS Team Challenge, helping them to learn skills which enable them to interact with the local community. We are looking for passionate individuals with previous experience of facilitating photography groups and an interest in working with young people. Successful candidates should be ready for a demanding but rewarding role as part of an intensive summer programme, and will engage their team with their community partner as much as with the skill they are learning.
The Photography Practitioner is responsible for leading three day sessions teaching basic photography skills to a team of up to 13 15 – 17 year olds. The Practitioner also leads two visits to a local community group (including care homes, youth clubs and homeless centres) so that the young people can use the skills they have learnt to interact with the people that they meet. Finally, the Practitioner works with the young people to design and deliver a showcase performance.
Skill session facilitation
- Teaching photography skills to a team of up to 13 15 – 17 year olds
- Working with a different team of young people of varying experience and motivation each week in delivering photography based activities and helping them plan a small event to deliver for a community partner
- Working effectively alongside the team’s Senior Mentor to ensure inclusive delivery, and that all young people are engaging in skills sessions
- Working with the young people to design and deliver a showcase performance about their experiences with a community partner and on the programme
- Lead two visits to a local community group (care homes, youth clubs or homeless centres) so that the young people can use the skills they have learnt to interact with the people that they meet
- Motivating and encouraging the team of up to th13 irteen young people to engage with their community group
About the Organisation and the NCS Programme
The Challenge is a fast-growing social enterprise that connects and inspires people across Britain to strengthen their communities. We work on a local level to bring together people from all ages, ethnicities and walks of life, connecting communities and building trust.
We are a major provider of the government’s National Citizen Service (NCS), a life-changing experience for 15-17 year olds. In summer 2016, 38,000 young people across our regions took part in our eighteen day intensive NCS programme. The scheme is available to young people from all backgrounds to take part in outdoor activities, meet new people and give something back to their communities. By taking part they learn new skills and have a great experience they can put on their CVs or college applications.
Candidates must demonstrate the following skills and characteristics:
- Experience of facilitation and leading photography based sessions
- Experience of working with young people. A belief in their potential and the ability to build rapport with them
- Enthusiastic about motivating young people to use their skills to interact with their community
- Ability to interpret the photography curriculum creatively to involve all young people
- Comfortable with the use of photography equipment and software including Nikon cameras and Adobe Premier Elements 12 to edit captured photos
- Flexible, with a creative and constructive approach to problem solving
- Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues to achieve successful results
- A willingness to take responsibility for delivering a challenging and safe experience for participants
- Experience of using photography in a community environment, e.g. with charities, schools or youth groups
- Experience of working with diverse community groups
- Experience of tailoring sessions to make them inclusive to the needs of all young people