Liverpool School of Art and Design, LJMU
Lecturer in Graphic Design and Illustration
Closing Date: 21/03/2017
Grade: Grade 7
Salary: £32,004 – £38,183 per annum pro rata
Hours: 0.6 FTE
Contract length: Permanent
Location: John Lennon Art and Design Building although staff may be asked to work in any location within the University. Mobility between locations will be subject to the exigencies of the service.
Reporting to: Ian Mitchell, Programme Leader, Graphic Design and Illustration
Role Summary: The appointed person will be expected to make broad contributions to the academic work of the School of Art and Design. In particular they will play a significant role in the delivery of illustration, visual communication and printmaking on the Graphic Design and Illustration undergraduate programme.
Core Academic Teaching Responsibilities:
To ensure an excellent student learning experience through:
- Planning and teaching courses in line with LJMU’s Learning Teaching and Assessment strategy, Academic Framework and quality requirements
- Lecturing/teaching/assessing at all levels and evaluating teaching and learning practice
- Leading on/contributing to programme / module development and curriculum review.
- Working with colleagues to support a strong academic programme identity
- Producing teaching materials informed by current research that motivate and inspire student learning
- Making appropriate use of technology to support learning and teaching, e.g. LJMU’s VLE 2
- Supervising and providing support and guidance for student learning activities, such as work-based learning and research activities and ,where appropriate, placements
- Marking/assessing assignments and examinations and providing timely and constructive feedback to students
- Responding to student feedback and taking action on this
- Providing academic support and guidance for students
- Participating in ongoing professional development and evaluation of practice relating to learning, teaching and assessment in line with qualifications and experience, changes in subject/discipline, pedagogic development and innovation in learning technology. This includes participating in the improvement of teaching through the University’s observation and peer review schemes.
- Appropriate professional development support for teaching and learning matched to individual’s qualifications and experience will be provided by LJMU
Post Specific Duties:
This post is designed to enhance and consolidate teaching in Graphic Design and Illustration within Liverpool School of Art and Design.
Teaching duties will focus primarily on the development and delivery of practical studio based modules that span illustration, drawing, printmaking and general visual communication.
Additional duties will span a variety of modules and their related activities, including:
- Digital skills based modules and process workshops
- Professional development modules, PDP supervision and personal tutoring
- Research based modules, lecture series and dissertation supervision
The appointee will be allocated other academic duties, commensurate with the grade, as deemed necessary by the Director of the School / Institute.
Commitment to LJMU’s values and regulations, including equal opportunities policy. A commitment to Professional Standards through continuous professional development and evaluation practice.
Liverpool John Moores University recognises and is aware of its Social, Economic and Environmental responsibilities, the post holder is required to minimise environmental impact in the performance of the role and actively contribute to the delivery of LJMU’s Environmental Policy.
The post-holder’s mandatory Health and Safety responsibilities, which have been agreed by the University’s Strategic Management Team, are contained in Section 2 of the University’s Safety Management Code of Practice MCP1 Organisation for the Implementation of the Health and Safety Policy.
For some of your activity, from time to time, you may be required to contribute to externally funded projects such as research or EU projects.