Interim Press Officer, job description
March – May 2019
Freelance Fee £1,500 for approximately 6 days
idle women, the arts and social justice project based in North West England are looking for an interim press officer to develop and manage national and regional campaigns for three new projects. In March we launch our rebrand, new website and a new project space in Accrington.
1. POWER TOOLS: BUILDING TUTORIALS FOR EVERY WOMAN is a new series of 14 online DIY videos made by and for women, which launches in St Helens on 11 April in parallel with RECONSTRUCTION, a dystopian sculpture built by artist Dina Rončević and the women of St Helens.
2. THE NURSERY (A PLACE TO GROW IDEAS) is a new project site in Accrington that launches on 31 March along with the announcement of the programme and idle women rebrand.
3. A National two week (ITV launched) campaign to gain support for the Physic Garden (April)
The press officer is required to cover the following:
• Produce and issue press releases to local, regional, national and specialist media (including general, arts, women’s, garden and DIY) where appropriate for each project
• Develop targeted approaches to identified editors and writers in broadcast, print and online media including titles/journalists who have supported idle women’s work in the past
• Respond to on-going media enquiries in terms of arranging interviews, and sending images and other information
• Liaise with the press officer at Heart of Glass, idle women’s partner in St Helens, to secure local and regional coverage
• Invite press to the 11 April launch in St Helens and 31 March in Accrington attend the event and manage interest
• Work with idle women co-directors to promote the vote campaign to social media, press and other relevant avenues of communication.
• Keep idle women updated on press interest and responses
The press officer should be a woman who understands and supports idle women’s vision and mission. Ideally based in the North West, she should have experience of managing both regional and national press campaigns with general, arts and other specialist media, as well as working with multiple project partners.
This is not a full time post, but the successful applicant would be required to begin work immediately and continue until around mid May.
Detailed terms to be discussed contact:
Rachel Anderson – 07940 557710