FESTIVAL ASSISTANT – 18 HOURS PER WEEK (FIXED TERM, FREELANCE)
HOMOTOPIA IS THE UK’S LONGEST RUNNING LGBTQ+ ARTS AND CULTURAL FESTIVAL. BASED IN LIVERPOOL, WE CURATE A PROGRAMME OF THEATRE, VISUAL ART, DANCE, FILM AND MUSIC EVERY NOVEMBER.
We are looking to appoint a freelance Festival Assistant to help in coordinating the planning and the day-to-day running of the festival.
Working alongside our Director, you will be responsible for administrative and marketing tasks to include:
• General office administration, maintaining accurate records, responding to emails, dealing with phone calls etc;
• Events coordination, sourcing suppliers, working within a tight budget;
• Greeting artists, liaising with venues and ensuring riders are met;
• Leading on social media marketing before and during the festival, in line with the festival marketing strategy. This should include content creation including designing sharable images, GIFs, short videos and writing/editing blogs;
• Website management (WordPress);
• Being an ambassador for the festival and acting as a contact person when required;
• Undertaking audience surveys, collating results, data input and other evaluation tasks;
• Other tasks reasonably assigned.
The ideal candidate will be dedicated to Homotopia Festival and excited to work as part of our team. They will be a confident communicator whether in-person, via email or on the phone. They will have an eye for design and a good grasp of social media marketing. They will be able to follow instructions with strong attention to detail and feel confident to ask questions if unsure.
They should be capable of taking initiative and working independently, without direct supervision.
They will possess an understanding of and/or experience of working within arts organisations or festivals. Candidates should have good understanding of LGBTQ+ culture, but not necessarily direct personal experience.
The role is for up to 16 hours per week for 11 weeks at £11 per hour.
It will be a requirement that the post holder works at the Homotopia office in central Liverpool every Tuesday for a minimum of 5 hours. It may be possible for the remaining weekly hours to be worked flexibly and in other locations, in agreement with Homotopia’s Director.
The Festival Assistant will be required to work considerably more hours (a minimum of 3 or 4 hours each day) during the festival and they must be available to work every single day from 31 October – 10 November. This will primarily be in antisocial hours including evenings and weekends.
We require someone who is flexible and able to change their work pattern to meet the unpredictable agenda and demands of a busy festival office.
This is a freelance position and the appointee will be responsible for paying their own national insurance and income tax. You must have the right to work in the UK to apply for this job.
Application deadline: Thursday 22 August 2019 at 9am.
Interview date: 29 August
Start date: w/c 2 September
To apply send your CV (max. 2 pages) and a concise covering letter as a single attachment to Homotopia Interim Director Char Binns at firstname.lastname@example.org by 9am on Thursday 22 August. Applications received after this time will not be considered.
In the cover letter please ensure that you state why you would like to work for Homotopia, how your skills and experience relate to the job description and what your availability is for September – November 2019.