Festival Assistant – Fixed term, part-time (freelance)
Homotopia is the UK’s longest running LGBT+ arts festival, now in its 14th year. Based in Liverpool, we curate a month-long programme of theatre, visual art, dance, film and music every November.
We are looking to appoint a freelance Festival Assistant to help in coordinating the planning and the day-to-day running of the festival.
Working alongside the festival’s Guest Curator and Festival Manager, you will be responsible for administrative and marketing tasks to include:
- General office administration, maintaining accurate records, responding to emails, dealing with phone calls etc;
- Events coordination, sourcing suppliers, working within a tight budget;
- Greeting artists, liaising with venues and ensuring riders are met;
- Leading on social media marketing before and during the festival, in line with the festival marketing strategy. This should include content creation including designing sharable images, GIFs, short videos and writing/editing blogs;
- Low level website management (WordPress);
- Being an ambassador for the festival and acting as a contact person when required;
- Undertaking audience surveys, collating results, data input and other evaluation tasks;
- Other tasks reasonably assigned by the Festival Manager.
The ideal candidate will be a confident communicator whether in-person, via email or on the phone. They will have an eye for design and a good grasp of social media marketing. They will be able to follow instructions with strong attention to detail and feel confident to ask questions if unsure. They will possess an understanding of and/or experience of working within arts organisations or festivals. Candidates should have some understanding of LGBTQ+ culture, but not necessary direct experience.
The role is for up to 26 days/208 hours over 3 months, at £11 per hour.
The time will be split approximately as follows: September x 8 days, October x 10 days, November x 8 days. Not all of these will be full days but could be 2 x half days or evenings and will be paid by the hour.
During the festival it will be necessary to work antisocial hours including evenings and weekends. We require someone who is flexible and able to change their work pattern to meet the unpredictable agenda and demands of a busy festival office.
This is a freelance position and the appointee will be responsible for paying their own national insurance and income tax. You must have the right to work in the UK to apply for this job.
Application deadline: Monday 20 August 2018 at 10am.
Interview date: 28 August
Start date: w/c 3 September
To apply send your CV (max. 2 pages) and covering letter to Festival Manager Char Binns via email@example.com by 10am on Monday 20 August. Applications received after this time will not be considered.
In the cover letter please ensure that you state why you would like to work for Homotopia, how your skills and experience relate to the job description and what your availability is for September – November 2018.