Collections Assistant Fine and Decorative Arts, Gallery Oldham, Oldham Council
Health & Wellbeing
Heritage & Arts Service
Collections Assistant. Fine and Decorative Arts
Contract Type: Fixed Term 18 months
Salary: £22,401 – £26,470 p.a. (pro rata) (salary plus any additional payments)(Actual Salary: £11,182 – £13,213)
Hours: 18.30 per week
Based: Gallery Oldham, Cultural Quarter, Greaves St, Oldham, OL1 1AL
Closing Date: Monday 5th November 2018
Shortlisting & Interview Dates: Shortlisting week beginning 19th November 2018. Interview date Tuesday 4th December
Following a flood at Gallery Oldham early in 2018 this post is being created to assist with the administration of the ongoing conservation and monitoring of the collection.
We are seeking an enthusiastic and committed Collections Assistant to support the documentation, monitoring and development of the Fine and Decorative Arts collections, and to increase public access and engagement with heritage resources.
- Undertake documentation of museum collections
- Prepare collections for conservation, relocation and accessible storage
- Assist with the relocation of collections
- Support digitisation of collections and information to extend remote access to collections
- Assist with exhibition preparation and display
To succeed in this role you will need as a minimum:
- Recognised qualification or degree in relevant area of work (i.e. museum/heritage studies, archives etc.)
- Experience of working in a Gallery, Museum or Heritage environment
- Experience of working with museum collections including a specialism in Fine /Decorative Arts.
- Able to cope with a physically demanding job which includes exhibition preparation, packing and unpacking exhibitions and moving collections and equipment around sites and stores.