Deadline: Friday 11 March 2016.
TERM OF CONTRACT: Fixed term contract (subject to ACE funding) to end on submitting the report after mela 2016. Mela to take place on 30 & 31 July. The contract may be renewed for 2017 mela also.
TIME SCALE: May – August 2016
FEE: £3,000 (fully inclusive of all expenses)
REPORTING TO: The Mela Management Committee.
The role will support the programming and management of arts and craft activities in the Arts & Crafts marquee; liaison with community, arts and cultural partners to provide activity; management of the DESI arts commission; set up and support delivery of arts activities on the 2 days of the MELA; and provide evaluation of the activities.
1. Programme the activities of the Arts & Crafts Marquee, in consultation with the MMM
2. Contact artists/crafts people to invite them to participate in our mela.
3. Negotiate terms with participating artists, issue contracts, passes and all other necessary paperwork.
4. Develop mutually beneficial partnerships/relationships with key cultural institutions &
organisations in Manchester.
5. Manage the DESI Mela Arts Commission, and identify and liaise with venues (museums,
community, schools) to put in place a tour of the resulting exhibition.
6. Manage the internal set up of the arts and crafts marquee over the 2 days of Mela.
7. Work closely with other individuals/organisations to set up the stalls on the mela days.
8. Provide assistance to the individuals/organisations participating in the Arts & Crafts Marquee.
9. Maintain and develop MMM’s crafts database of peoples/artists and partnership organisations participating in Mela.
10. Collect and analyse feedback from the mela visitors and various artists/organisations
participating in the A&C Marquee.
11. Submit a midterm report of the activities/projects to the Mela Management Committee by 16 June 2016.
12. Submit the final report by 15 August 2016; to include recommendations for future growth, partnerships and opportunities; including funding routes.
The candidate should be able to demonstrate:
1. Knowledge of local and regional arts sector.
2. Experience of programming in a live event environment.
3. Experience of managing artists and commissions.
4. Experience of developing mutually beneficial partnerships between cultural organisations.
5. An understanding of Mela and South Asian Culture.
6. Good communication, negotiation and organisational skills.
7. Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
Please send your CV with a short covering letter detailing why you think we should offer you this fixed term contract.
For full details, visit the website.