Food Intervention Commission, Manchester Jewish Museum
- Closes 19th June 2019
- Type Part time
- Salary Paid (£15k-20k pro rata)
- Contact Laura Seddon firstname.lastname@example.org
For the next few months, Manchester Jewish Museum is working in collaboration with artist Leo Burtin to develop a participatory programme of activity related to food.
Using diverse examples of Jewish food as a starting point, we will explore cultural food connections related to the theme of belonging. We wish to commission an artist (Jewish or Non-Jewish background) to develop a participatory activity to premiere at the Cheetham Cultural Festival in September 2019. We are particularly interested in hearing from proposals from practitioners who already have a participatory and/or socially engaged approach and are interested in exploring the potential of food in artistic practice for the first time.
We are looking for a simple and effective idea which will generate conversation and interest at a busy festival which reflects the diversity of Cheetham Hill and the many communities who call the area home.
There is a total budget of £750 available for this activity. You will receive artistic mentoring and dramaturgical support from Leo Burtin throughout the project, and production support from Manchester Jewish Museum’s Creative Producer Laura Seddon.
To apply, please send the following information on no more than 1 side of A4 in PDF format to email@example.com by 12noon 19th June. You may also submit your application via a 3/4-minute-long video
– A short biography or artist’s statement
– A short statement demonstrating your interest in socially engaged artistic practice and keenness to experiment with food as an artistic medium
– A concise summary of your idea for the commission
– How you intend to proceed for the development of the project, and the areas in which you would particularly benefit from the mentoring and support on offer.
– A simple budget breakdown