Chair of the Board of Trustees, The Reader
- Closes 17th May 2019
- Type Part time (trustee)
- Salary Unpaid
- Contact Kate Harrison firstname.lastname@example.org
The Reader is seeking a new Chair of Trustees to help the organisation achieve its ambitious programme of work for the next 5-10 years. This includes developing The Reader at Calderstones, a community built on Shared Reading, at our national HQ in Calderstones Park, Liverpool, and continuing to build the reach of our national programme which currently supports the delivery of 500+ weekly Shared Reading groups in settings ranging from local libraries, care homes, hospitals, prisons, children’s centres, community spaces and secure mental health settings.
We are looking for a person who can wholeheartedly subscribe to the mission and values of The Reader, see its national development potential and can help support and guide and challenge the executive team in the delivery of their work.
The role of the Chair of the Reader is to:
·Maintain and support a good working relationship between the Trustees and the Executive Team.
· Play an active role in developing strategy, setting policies, goals and targets and evaluating performance and effectiveness against these agreed targets.
· Provide active support and advice to the Director, to the Director Group and the wider staff in achieving the aims as set out in the Strategic Plan.
· Champion the organisation and use their network of contacts to assist with organisational development, fundraising and profile.
· Seek to ensure that the way the Board conducts its business is reflective of the style and ethos of the organisation.
· Ensure that the Trustees fully understand their role and responsibilities.
· Set the agenda for Board meetings in consultation with the Director, Chief Operating Officer and Company Secretary and ensure the proper and efficient conduct of these meetings.
· Act on behalf of the Board of Trustees where appropriate and necessary (in the knowledge that all Trustees bear equal legal responsibility).
· To undertake the Director’s annual personal development review.