Young Artist in Residence, Miss
- Closes 17th September 2019
- Type Part time
- Salary Paid (£15k-20k pro rata)
- Contact Sally Thelwell email@example.com
The Whitworth is looking for two emerging artists from any discipline, aged 24 or under, to help us shape our work with young people and local communities.
Utopia is, at its essence, about creating a perfect world, yet in this way, it is always in opposition with the present. Using your artistic-thinking, interest in current events, and passion for making positive change in the world, you will support Whitworth Young Contemporaries to look at how utopian strategies have been imagined, represented and tested by artists in the Whitworth Collection.
What you will do:
- You will have the opportunity to develop skills as a creative practitioner and community curator.
- Drawing inspiration from the Whitworth’s collection of art, you will work with our curator to support Whitworth Young Contemporaries to produce an exhibition on the theme of utopia and inform our programming.
- You will develop partnerships with local youth organisations to deliver outreach and widen our community offer.
Who you are:
- You are an emerging artist, curator or cultural producer from any practice aged 24 or under.
- You have an interest and ability to engage people from all backgrounds.
- You have an interest in current political events.
- You are able to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends.
We are committed to building a culturally diverse institution where everyone can flourish and feel valued by their contribution and individuality. Our policies and practices are designed to encourage talented people, whatever their background to work here. All appointments will be made on merit.
£1,000 for approximately 15 days work October 2019– February 2020 (approx. 1 day per week). Please note that successful applicants will need enhanced DBS status.
Send your CV with up to 3 images of your work, and an expression of interest (500 words max) telling us why you want to join us to support this particular project and how you would approach the opportunity.
firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm Tuesday 17th September. Interviews to be held on Monday 30th September with a start date of mid October.