Musician/ Composer for Women in Action, Collective Encounters
- Closes: 10th February 2021
- Type: Part time
- Salary: Paid (£20k-25k pro rata)
- Contact: Tessa Buddle email@example.com
Collective Encounters is a Liverpool-based arts organisation specialising in using theatre as a tool for social change. Since March 2020 Collective Encounters has been delivering a busy programme of participatory theatre activities, workshops and events online.
One of these programmes is Women in Action, a two-year arts and heritage project gathering and celebrating stories of women’s activism, resilience and community organising in Merseyside. Visit our Women in Action page to explore some of the work produced so far.
As we enter the second year of the project, we are looking to work with a musician/composer to develop an audio work inspired by and incorporating the stories we have gathered. The work will be developed and performed by a core group of participants: women aged 21-85 who have been gathering and sharing stories of resilience, resistance and hope over the past year.
The musician/composer will work with the Lead Artist (Tessa Buddle), Writer (Sarah Thornton) and participant group to develop and produce an original audio work inspired by and incorporating the stories gathered by the Women in Action project. This will include producing a soundscape for the work, and 3-4 original songs.
The successful candidate should demonstrate:
- Experience of composing, rehearsing and recording music through collaborative and/or participatory processes
- Experience of supporting non-professional vocalists and/or musicians to achieve high quality performance standards
- Excellent workshop facilitation skills
- Knowledge of remote audio recording and/or production technologies
- High proficiency as an instrumentalist, preferably a multi-instrumentalist
- An interest in documenting the heritage of women’s activism and community organising
Fee: £4,500 – inclusive of composition fee, recording time, and delivery of 16 workshop/rehearsal sessions
How to apply
In the first instance, we will commission a small number of candidates to deliver a 1.5 hour taster workshop, which will be followed by a 20 minute discussion with our participant group. If selected, you will be paid £150 to deliver this workshop.
For more information and to apply, visit our website.