Liverpool City Region are launching an open competition to design the official logo for the Borough of Culture initiative and want residents and artists (amateur and professional) from across the Liverpool City Region to get involved.
As the first Combined Authority in the country to have powers over culture included in its devolution deal, we created the Borough of Culture award last year, to encourage cultural activities across the whole city region.
The purpose of the Borough of Culture award is to stimulate new cultural and creative opportunities; highlighting the unique character and distinctiveness of its people and places, and developing the skills and talents of its residents in order to create an exciting year of cultural events and activity that everyone can enjoy and take part in.
Each host borough will create its own programme of cultural and creative events, activities and opportunities, but all will include five key elements:
- Children and Young People – accessing, enjoying, learning through culture and creative engagement, developing skills and talents.
- Positive outcomes – wellbeing, health, education, cohesion and future world of work.
- Communities – increased opportunities for participation and involvement
- Distinctiveness of place – promoting the creative and culture offer to local people and visitors
- Infrastructure and Legacy – building future cultural and creative opportunities beyond the Borough of Culture year.
The Borough of Culture initiative is designed to utilise many of the region’s existing assets and talent to stimulate cultural and creative opportunities, both formal and informal, wherever they can be found.
We want you to help us to inspire and make more people aware of the fantastic cultural and creative opportunities on offer across the Liverpool City Region by creating a logo for Borough of Culture.
The winning submission will receive a prize of £800 and will be developed into the Borough of Culture official logo from 2019 onwards.
We need a logo design that can be used by each borough throughout its host year in the year it is awarded the title.
The competition is open to anyone aged 16 years or over living in the Liverpool City Region.
Your design must be an entirely original unpublished work that you have created.
What we are looking for:
- An original design for a logo that will represent the Borough of Culture brand.
- A design that captures the spirit of creativity and Culture in ALL its forms but which is simple, clear and easily recognisable.
- It should not be too cluttered or use stereotypical images eg theatre masks/paintbrushes/film reel.
- The logo could be a type treatment (eg uses the words Borough of Culture) and/or can be an image based design.
- The brand must not incorporate any of the already established elements of each Liverpool City Region Borough’s logo identity – but must be compatible with them.
- The logo will need to be able to be applied across all promotional materials, including merchandising in print and online through social media channels and website.
- Your design should be effective in both colour and black and white versions.
We will accept your design ideas in the following formats:
- Digitally produced artwork
- Scanned hand drawn sketches / paintings
- Full colour and in horizontal, rectangular format
- Entries should be submitted no later than Monday, 7 January 2019 at midday to email@example.com
- Files should be in jpg format and no larger than 5MB
- Please include your name, age and contact details with your submission.
- You must also include a short explanation about your design concept in no more than 250 words.
- If you have difficulties submitting your entry in this format please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
The winner will receive a cash prize of £800 and the design will be developed into the Borough of Culture official logo from 2019 onwards.
Click here to read the Fair Processing Notice