Call to Craft Makers: World Gymnastics Championships Liverpool 2022
Winners’ Medals & Delegate Pin Designs
Between 29 October – 06 November 2022 the city of Liverpool is to host the prestigious World Gymnastics Championships at the M&S Bank Arena.
Delivered by the local organising committee within Liverpool City Council and in partnership with UK Sport and British Gymnastics, over 550 gymnasts from 75 countries are expected to compete; making it one of the largest international sporting events ever to be held in the city.
Attracting a substantial worldwide audience, the atmosphere is sure to be electric as the world’s best gymnasts go head-to-head in displays of poise, power, precision and artistry over nine action-packed days. A global gymnastics event; an unforgettable experience.
A key element of any major championships is the medals the winners receive and the local organising committee is looking to facilitate the design and production of the competition winners’ medals and the delegates’ commemorative ‘medals’.
Bluecoat Display Centre are leading the call-out for submissions for this exciting opportunity from emerging and established craft makers living and/or working across the Liverpool City Region (*) to submit design ideas for:
114 winner’s medals (bronze, silver, gold) and 1,800 delegate ‘medals/pins/keepsakes’ (**)
– Maker design fee / Project management including production – £3K
– Potential manufacturing budget – approx. £13K
(* The Liverpool City Region covers the City of Liverpool local authority area plus the Metropolitan Boroughs of Knowsley, St Helens, Sefton – including Southport – Wirral and the Borough of Halton in North West England.)
(** Delegate medals/pins/keepsakes should be all the same design, as a keepsake/souvenir of the event.)
The World Artistic Gymnastics Championships Liverpool 2022 will place the world’s greatest gymnasts on a global stage right here in our city. The successful design will reflect both the global competition and the host city’s global outlook. This is your chance to be part of history.
For further information on the event, please visit 2022worldgymnastics.com
To view examples of previous medal and pin designs, please click here. Please note that the winners’ medals must feature the FIG (International Gymnastics Federation) logo.
This is an incredible opportunity to:
– Develop the designs for, and be responsible for the manufacture or management of the manufacture of, the winner’s medals (this should include the hanging ribbons) and the delegate commemorative ‘medals/pins/keepsakes’ for the World Gymnastics Competition 2022 (WGC2022).
– Feature in the supporting promotional campaign by WGC2022, supported by partners Culture Liverpool, Liverpool City Council, British Gymnastics and UK Sport as well as the associated displays by Bluecoat Display Centre and partners.
– Involve new audiences in your work, during the event.
– Increase your profile and expand your portfolio.
– Develop your practice beyond your usual work practices; by working in collaboration with manufacturers, using alternative and sustainable materials.
We invite submissions and designs from makers working in:
– Metal, including jewellery and precious metals
– Textiles, including print and constructed textiles
– Employing new technologies or traditional techniques
– Materials and techniques which support sustainability
We are open to other applied forms, where practical, but this is not a call for fine artists. Fine art forms will not be considered.
Bluecoat Display Centre are delighted to be working with WGC2022, Liverpool City Council and British Gymnastics, who will all support and promote the call-out.
The selection panel will be made up of senior representatives from the Bluecoat Display Centre, WGC2022, Culture Liverpool / Liverpool City Council and British Gymnastics. It will also include athlete representatives. The final decision will be ratified by the FIG (International Gymnastics Federation).
Criteria and submission requirement:
Open to any professional craft maker, living and/or working in the Liverpool City Region working in an appropriate discipline for the brief.
We welcome submissions from:
– Black and other ethnic inheritance makers
– LGBTQI+ creatives
– Cis and non-binary gender producers
– Neurodivergent, disabled and Deaf originators
To submit a design proposal, please email email@example.com with the following:
– A selection of up to 5 images, this can include design ideas as well as existing work that relates
(Maximum size per image: 2MB)
– A statement about your work, design ideas and production methods
(Word doc format, recommended 2 sides x A4 page)
– A current biography or CV
(Word doc format, max. 2 sides x A4 page)
The deadline for submission is Wednesday 8 December 2021, with announcement of the selection made by Friday 14 January 2022.