Call Out: Social Archivist
Metal is undertaking a series of archival research projects for a large-scale music and film event that will take place at Edge Hill Station Liverpool in 2017. As part of this activity Metal would like to engage an experienced social archivist to support the collection of oral histories concerning Indian Independence in 1947, from the perspective of those living in the England at the time.
1. A minimum of 6-recorded interviews with individuals, which give voice to the following themes:
Essential – Memories of the period after World War II with an emphasis on 1947,from a national perspective, and a focus on the Liverpool, North West region;
Desirable – Memories of the railways and/or train travel in that time period from a national perspective, and a focus on the Liverpool, North West region.
Please note 3 of these recorded interviews should give voice to a local perspective – individuals who are currently resident, or used to live in the Liverpool city region, specifically Edge Hill, Kensington, Toxteth or Wavertree in and around the year, 1947.
2. A minimum of 6 existing archive recordings that highlight the key themes listed above (memories of Indian Independence and memories of train travel in 1947). As part of this work you will be required to contact and source material from key archival institutions within the UK, i.e. The British Library, Imperial War Museum, etc.
Please note: All audio recordings need to be of high resolution standard with limited / no background noise. Format for delivery tbc.
Call out – 21 Nov Deadline for applications – 10am 29 Nov Skype interviews – 1 Dec Position confirmed – 5 Dec Delivery of all project outputs – no later than 23 Jan
Fee: £1000.00 Please note in addition to the stated fee there is also a £300 contribution towards delivery expenses, such as: travel costs, hardware and software (i.e. recording equipment). All additional expenses will need to be signed off by a member of Metal staff prior to expenditure and will be repaid upon receiving corresponding receipts.
1. Please send a copy of your C.V
2. Please write a short statement about how you intend carry out the work, including an indicative project timeline (up to 400 words)
3. Please provide up to 3 links to your recent work (i.e. website and, or portfolio)
Please send a PDF of your CV and short statement and website / portfolio link to: Mary Jane Edwards: firstname.lastname@example.org with the email subject heading: Social Archivist application
Metal was founded in London in 2002 by Jude Kelly OBE. It has been active in Liverpool since 2004, in Southend-on-Sea since 2007 and in Peterborough since 2012. From these bases, Metal works to provide the catalyst that can transform the potential of people and places, exploring the impact of art and artists’ practices on civic and civil society. Metal produces a multidisciplinary programme of international and UK artists in residence and runs a wide range of events, exhibitions and participatory projects.
www.metalculture.com Twitter: @MetalLiverpool Facebook: Metal Liverpool
If you have any questions in regard to your application please contact Mary Jane on email@example.com or +44 (0)151 707 2277