Arts and Minds
2017 entries now open
Arts & Minds is a schools-based competition organised by the NASUWT to celebrate Black History Month.
The Competition is open to children and young people from primary, secondary and special schools across the UK.
Entries should reflect the competition’s aims to promote cultural diversity, equality and tackling racism in schools.
Using artwork and creative writing, pupils explore what diversity, equality and identity means to them.
The 2017 Competition
The Competition challenges children and young people to use art and creative writing to explore themes of diversity, race, equality and identity. Entries should reflect the Competition’s aims to promote cultural diversity and equality and tackle racism in schools.
TV presenter Gok Wan will again be choosing the overall winner.
- The creative writing category includes all forms of creative writing e.g. stories, poetry and lyrics.
- Working with our partners at the Anne Frank Trust UK, we also have a separate category for The Anne Frank Poetry Award for poems inspired by the life and writing of Anne Frank. For more information about the Anne Frank Trust and this award, go to: www.annefrank.org.uk.
- The art category covers all entries of artwork using a variety of media, including photography, digital artwork (excluding film and animation) and collages. Students should be encouraged to be as creative as possible but keep within the Competition Guidelines.
Prizes will be awarded to the best entries from across England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales in the following categories:
Primary: up to the age of 11;
Secondary: up to the age of 16;
Special: designated special school or unit.
Awards Ceremony and Prizes
Prizes will be presented at a prestigious awards ceremony at a top London hotel on 11 October 2017 and will include:
- overnight accommodation and appropriate travel and subsistence expenses for winning pupils, their parent/guardian and a teacher;
- a visit to a top London attraction;
- £1,000 for the overall winning school;
- £350 for all winning schools;
- gift vouchers worth up to £100 for winning pupil/s.
CLOSING DATE: 14 JULY 2017
For full information and application forms: https://www.nasuwt.org.uk/being-involved/events/arts-minds.html