Artist Call – Burnley Canal Festival 2016 Gateways Commission, Deco Publique
- Closes 28th July 2016
- Location North West
- Type Part time
- Salary Paid (£20k-25k pro rata)
- Artform crafts, visual arts, Other, set and site design
- Contact Elena Gifford firstname.lastname@example.org
The Burnley Canal Festival 2016 celebrates the Bicentenary Year of the Leeds Liverpool Canal and is supported by Super Slow Way. It will be delivered by Mid Pennine Arts and Deco Publique.
This commission is for an artist to create 2 gateways positioned at 2 key entry locations to the festival at Thompson Park and Sandygate. The gateways will provide a sense of demarcation and alter visitors perception of the space as a site of festivity. We are looking for a bold visual statement that references the aesthetic heritage of the canals. The 2 gateways can be different in style reflecting each specific location. The gateways should be of a scale that has a bold impact and may provide a structure that a number of people can pass under and through, however the notion of a ‘gateway’ is open to artistic interpretation.
- Estimated 15 days work
- 2 or more visits to the locale, with the final visit up to and including the festival weekend
- Desk research
- Community research and engagement activity that could include open access sessions to contribute to individual designs
- Dialogue with the Producers with informal presentation of final ideas
Indication of Creative Content:
- Bold and contemporary feel but celebrating some key element of canal heritage and subculture, in particular the Brightwork tradition
- Creating a sense of place and the feeling of ‘arrival’ at both entry points to the festival
- To include all practical arrangements for installing and making safe the gateways
- Engage with communities at 2 x locations
- Create participation opportunities in conceptualising and designing the artworks
Commission delivered for public exhibition throughout August 27th and 28th.
Budget: Up to £4k available, to include all materials, artist’s costs and expenses.
We invite proposals from artists with a successful track record of comparable work. Your proposal should illustrate the anticipated creative content and cover issues of safety and security in the practicalities of installing the gateways. Please include a brief, indicative budget.
Deadline: 12noon, 28th July
For the FULL brief contact Elena Gifford: email@example.com