The gardens around this church are a welcome sanctuary from the rush of the Liverpool business district and there’s a small exhibition inside the church. They have regular exhibitions here now, there will be a series of artists residencies later in the year commissioned by Dying Frog.
A Bit of history:
The ancient parish church of Liverpool was St Mary’s Walton on the Hill, 3 miles (5 Km) from the present location. In 1699 Liverpool, with a population of about 5000, was created an independent parish with two churches: Our Lady and St Nicholas (often called the ‘Old Church’ or simply St Nicholas) and a new parish church of St Peter. In 1734 the first of many daughter churches was built; by 1865 there were 27 in the parish, which by then housed about 275,000 people. Since 1916 Our Lady and St Nicholas has been the Parish Church of Liverpool. St Peter’s, which stood in Church Street, was demolished in 1922.
The current show has small pictures and sculptures created by the Whitechapel Centre service users in collaboration with Tate Liverpool and Hope University.
Much of the work is unfinished, it is a work in progress, a period of transition for the artists, some of whom are homeless, vulnerably housed or living in supported accommodation.
Also at the church on Saturday 1 July the Liverpool Metropolitan Opera are staging their concert ‘Operability, a recital of arias and choruses from well-known operas. Admission £5 concessions £3 pay on door
The artists are: Brian, Annette, Sue, Don, Ellie, Kate, Julie, Becky, Jeff, Eddie, Mark, Annette, & Tom.
At St Nicholas Church, Chapel Street until July 20th 2006. Open daily 10.00 – 16.30 (closed lunchtime 12.00 – 13.00) Closed on Saturday July 8th