The Tall Ships’ Races 2008 – Details
Liverpool is the host port for the start of The Tall Ships’ Races 2008.
The fleet will be berthed in Liverpool from 18 to 21 July 2008
The large Class A Tall Ships will be berthed in Wellington and Sandon Half Tide Docks. The Class B,C, and D vessels will be berthed in Albert, Canning and Canning Half Tide Dock.
The Tall Ships’ Races 2008 will be one of the major highlights for Liverpool’s year as European Capital of Culture. From the moment the ships berth in Liverpool they will experience a welcome and celebration like no other in the world.
The arrival of the Tall Ships fleet will trigger a four-day free maritime jubilee celebrating the port’s 800-year history on a spectacular World Heritage waterfront. The programme will run as follows:
Friday 18 July
* 10am – the event opens with quayside events and activities throughout the day
Saturday 19 July
* 11am – event opens with quayside events and activities and cultural visits programme throughout the day
Sunday 20 July
* 10am – event opens with quayside events and activities and cultural visits programme throughout the day
* Evening – Eve of Parade Special Event
Monday 21 July
* Parade of Sail – the Parade of Sail is the defining moment of the visit of the Tall Ships to Liverpool
* 8am onwards – class A ships start departing from Wellington and Sandon Half Tide docks to River Mersey
* 12.30pm onwards – class B, C and D ships start departing from Albert Dock, Canning and Canning Half Tide Docks
* 2pm (approx) – during the afternoon the ships will sail south and line up in the River Mersey.
Expect stunning views as this spectacular fleet commences on the parade north out of the River Mersey and to the start of the the challenging first race to Maloy. It is expected that HMS Liverpool will lead the parade and the official “Parade Salute” will be taken from the flight deck of HMS Ark Royal
Access to Ships: Please note Tall Ships are officially closed to the public in the north end docks on Monday 21 July but ships in the south docks may be open to the public in the morning.
There is also an additional programme of events for crew members and vessel owners only.
See the Tall Ships Website
More info including maps and travel are on liverpool08.com