SATURDAY 14 May 12noon – 23.00. SMILES FOR JAPAN
Day and Night of Music, Performance, Film, Art & Fun! Give your smiles and support from Liverpool to Japan.
Venue: CUC Liverpool, 41 -51 Greenland Street, Liverpool, L1 0BS
Date: Saturday 14 May 2011, from noon til late. Entry by donations.
‘Smiles for Japan’ presented by CUC Liverpool / Threshold / Liverpool for Japan.
The proceeds from the event will go to British Red Cross Japan Tsunami Appeal.
Japanese residents, Liverpool’s creative communities and the CUC Liverpool are joining forces to hold a charity event ‘Smiles for Japan’ in response to the earthquake and tsunami disasters which severely hit Eastern Japan on 11 March. On Saturday 14 May 2011 at the CUC Liverpool, ‘Smiles for Japan’ presents a daytime family-friendly event followed by an evening music event, bringing cross-cultural creative activities and vibrant music & performances together to raise money and awareness of how we can support Japan in these difficult times.
Daytime activities (12 – 5pm) include:
– ‘1000 Origami Crane Challenge’: Take part in creating 1000 cranes of hope
– ‘J-Jumble Sale’: Full of Japanese goodies available to buy
– ‘Ganbare Tohoku’ Photo corner: Dress in Kimono & have your portrait taken to send your smile to Japan
– ‘The Print Aid Project’: Local photographers-led international collaboration project in aid of Japan
– ‘Made for Japan’: UK artist’s work, prints, books, zines, craft objects for an art sale for Japan
– ‘Donkey The Keiko’ – Vintage Kimono & handmade kimono craft
– Performance/Demos/Music: China Pearl, Edge Forward, Liverpool Kendo Club, Choir
– Craft Creative runs hourly ‘I heart Japan’ keyrings and broaches workshops
– Art by Babie Sato
– Tomoko Suzuki leading a Creative Storytelling Workshop
– Japanese film screenings: one for kids (12.30pm -) & one for youth/grownups (3pm-)
– Calligraphy, Craft stalls, Badge-making, J-pop DJ, Food
– Raffle with fabulous prizes (See what the prizes are!)
Threshold Smiles For Japan (7:30 – 11pm) :
Music by: Man Get Out, The Big House, Ian Dunn , Mashemon
2020 Ian Dunn
2110 The Big House
2200 Man Get Out
+ Compere/Performance: Tomoko Suzuki (Roxoko Theatre)