Deadline: Friday 29 April 2016, 12:00
Job Type: Fixed Term [F]
Art Galleries Division
Maternity Cover 9 Months or until the post holder returns
Purpose of the Job
To be responsible for the care and conservation of National Museums Liverpool’s sculpture collections.
To provide authoritative advice and support for the delivery of display and storage improvements for the collections.
To contribute to and support special projects including exhibitions, redisplays and capital developments.
Reporting to the Deputy Director of Art Galleries you will:
- Provide conservation care for the sculpture collections including condition checks, survey work, treatment, documentation, and monitoring of condition and display environments.
- Contribute to the documentation of the collections on the NML database (Mimsy XG) and in the object history files relating to condition assessments and treatments.
- Contribute to display projects relating to the permanent collection galleries.
- Support the delivery of exhibition programmes carrying out condition checks of works, advising on display methods and supervising the installation of works when necessary.
- Answer public enquiries, including giving opinions on sculpture and providing access to relevant archive material.
- Liaise over collections movement, display and storage with Curators, Estates, and Conservation colleagues.
- Make the sculpture collections accessible through photography, interpretation, web resources, guides and other formats developed in conjunction with curators.
- Develop and disseminate knowledge of the collections through research and publication.
- Advise on the condition status, long term care and storage implications of potential acquisitions.
- Advise on sculpture loans and support their administration working with curators and NML’s Registrars
- Act as a courier for loans, nationally and internationally in liaison with curatorial staff and Registrars.
- Work with colleagues across NML to contribute to NML’s access and audience development targets through display, interpretation and educational projects.
- Contribute to public programmes, including providing talks/lectures and information for resources.
- Liaise with and provide information to colleagues in Marketing and Communications for publicity and press.
- Represent the department at press calls and other media opportunities.
- Represent the department and Division at both internal and external meetings as required.
- Identify and develop opportunities for partnership working with other museums, professional organisations and educational institutions to support the development of the collections, our knowledge of them and public access.
- Contribute to effective and efficient use of resources including monitoring spend and record keeping to support budget management.
- Contribute as required to other NML special projects.
- Assist with sponsorship and fundraising initiatives and ensure that we maximise income generation opportunities.
- Line manage and support the development of junior staff as agreed with the Director of Art Galleries.
- A commitment to adhere to the standards expected of all public services as defined by the HM Treasury publication “Managing Public Money”. Those standards are honesty, impartiality, accountability, openness, accuracy, reliability, transparency, objectivity, integrity and fairness. These standards should be carried out in the spirit of, as well as the letter of, the law; in the public interest; to high ethical standards and achieving value for money
- Supervise volunteers and work placement students, undertaking periodic appraisal and facilitating training in association with colleagues in Art Galleries and NML’s HR Department.
- Develop NML’s commitment to Equality and Diversity and promote non-discriminatory practices in all aspects of work undertaken.
- Adhere to National Museums Liverpool’s Health and Safety Policies and Procedures, National Museums Liverpool’s access policy as well as other appropriate practices and guidelines.
- Undertake additional duties, as required, from time to time.
- Undertake training and development courses and programmes, as required.
- Show the highest integrity and confidentiality in the pursuance of these duties.
- The details contained in this job description reflect the content of this job at the date of being prepared. It is however possible that over time the nature of the job will change.
- Consequently National Museums Liverpool will expect to revise this job description from time to time and will consult with the post holder at the appropriate time.
For full details, visit the website.