Deadline: Monday 5 October 2015
Platform Studios in partnership with Heart of Glass are offering two studio bursaries to recent graduates for the period October 2015 – March 2016.
What’s on offer?
– A shared, first floor studio in St Helens town centre for a 6 month period
– A materials budget of £100
– An artist bursary of £300
Who is eligible?
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
– Applicants will be recent graduates (graduated since summer 2013), or have recently restarted their practice after a break.
– The artist will have a project that they wish to develop while based in St Helens during the 6 month period
What are the expectations of the successful artist?
– The artist will proactively engage with the studios and the cultural life of St Helens during the bursary period.
– The artist will make regular use of the studio (expected 2 days per week) during the bursary period.
– The artist will make use of the materials budget to enable production of new work during the bursary period.
– Artists will need to hold their own Public liability insurance.
– The artist’s practice will be suitable for the space and facilities on offer (see detailed information below)
– The successful artist will be supported to hold an appropriate public sharing of the work produced during the residency (an exhibition at the Coffee Stop cafe, an open studio event, artist talk or other activity suited to their practice)
About the studios
Platform studios were established in March 2012 and are situated above St Mary’s Market in St Helens town centre. There are up to six artists based at the studios, which were formerly offices for the market.
The two studios provided with this bursary are as follows:
– 5sqm, 3mx2m approx floor space, 2.3m ceiling height.
– One window providing natural light
– Use of communal areas of the studios including tea making facility, plan chest drawer & corridor exhibition space.
– Studios open Mon-Sat 8.00-18.30 only.
– Access only via 38 stairs. We are sorry that there is no step-free access.
– Artists will need to have their own public liability insurance.
– Artists will be expected to play an active part in the running/upkeep of the studios during the bursary period
– Public wi-fi is available
We are open to applications from a wide range of artistic practices, however some processes may not be suitable or safe for use in this space. Processes that require ventilation or application of heat are not likely to be suitable. Artists should consider whether the access limitations (stair access only) and size of space are suitable for their practice.
Images of the studios are available here: http://www.platformartsthelens.co.uk/studios.php
About St Helens & Heart of Glass
Heart of Glass is a new arts commissioning project supporting work made with, for and about St.Helens people and place. They support artists and communities to make ambitious new contemporary work through a philosophy of collaboration and partnership, and an examination of the role of art and the artist in civil society. Heart of Glass’ plan places the town’s unique cultural heritage at its core, using it’s passion for rugby and industrial excellence in glass technology as departure points for exploring how the arts can make a contribution to creating a new cultural identity for St Helens.
How do I apply?
Applicants should send the following as a single PDF document:
– A cover letter with your full name, address, telephone number, email address and date & location of graduation.
– A 500-1000 word proposal that outlines the project you plan to work on during the bursary period.
– A 300 word artist statement about your practice
– up to 10 images of your work.
Please send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for applications Monday 5 October 2015.