Are you an inspirational leader with great people management skills? Are you excited by the challenge of balancing an outstanding visitor experience with the conservation of an internationally important historic landscape – all supported by a busy commercial operation? Are you looking for an exciting opportunity to develop as part of a team of passionate and committed people? If so, this role could be for you.
What it’s like to work here
Aira Force is a place for quiet enjoyment and wonder. Originally designed as a pleasure ground for the Duke of Norfolk and his guests at nearby Lyulphs Tower, the falls were one of the first tourist sites in the Lake District and now draws in around 300,000 visitors a year. The site has gained a reputation for providing an outstanding visitor experience thanks to the efforts of our brilliant team there. You’ll need to share their commitment and enthusiasm and relish being part of a team where everyone works together to make sure the property remains a flagship for what the National Trust can offer. And of course you’ll need to love the outdoors and at the same time understand how our commercial operations can add to the quality of our visitors’ experience.
What you’ll be doing
As the Operations Manager you’ll be responsible for the property’s performance targets. You’ll also be responsible for all aspects of the visitor journey, commercial activity and conservation of the landscape. Leading the visitor and commercial teams and working in partnership with our Rangers, you’ll deliver the property KPIs and support the Trust’s ambitions in our Land, Outdoor & Nature programme. You’ll be part of the wider portfolio management team and influence the broader strategic delivery in one of the busiest portfolios in the Lakes.
Who we’re looking for
In order to be successful you’ll be able to demonstrate:
- Excellent leadership and people management skills;
- Significant practical experience of managing a busy visitor / customer focussed operation, ideally in an outdoor setting. An awareness of the practical management issues involved in looking after a site like this and caring for our visitors in such an environment will be essential;
- A commitment to delivering an outstanding visitor experience;
- Enthusiasm and drive, with the ability to influence and inspire your team;
- A commercial and results focused approach;
- A keen eye for detail, ensuring the very highest levels of presentation are established and maintained;
- A passion for the National Trust and the Lake District.