Here’s full details of this year’s Hub Festival. It used to take place at the Pier Head then moved to Otterspool for a couple of years. Now this year it’ll be at the Wellington Dock which I think will be a good venue and the plan is to make it a car-free event.
The main interest for me (not being a big fan of skateboards or bmx bikes) is the graffiti art which this year should be pretty massive as local ZAP Graffiti teams up with Write4Gold the most popular graffiti arts contest in the world.
HUB FESTIVAL TO ROCK THE DOCK
o HUB Festival moves to new waterfront location
o Move to make it car-free event for Liverpool’s Year of Environment
o Up to 20,000 people expected at two day event on 23-24 May 2009
o Best music talent wanted to play at the UK’s largest urban youth festival
The UK’s biggest urban youth festival is on the move – and going green.
HUB – the biggest free festival of its kind – is moving to Wellington Dock in a bid to make it a car-free event as part Liverpool’s Year of the Environment.
The move, inspired by the success of the 2008 Tall Ships Races at the dock, will involve a free bus service operating from the city centre with festival goers being urged to use public transport with Sandhills train station lies less than 800 yards from the site. No car parking facilities will be provided.
Up to 20,000 people are expected over the weekend of 23-24 May, and the green agenda continues with a new Wellbeing village promoting recycling and carbon-free activities.
HUB, now into its seventh year, was established by Liverpool Culture Company during the city’s successful ’08 culture bid. It celebrates a vibrant mix of urban art, music and extreme sports including skateboarding, BMX, in-line skating, breakdancing and body popping.
Running 11am-7pm on both days, HUB ’09 features amateur competitions, free promos, aftershow parties, £25,000 of prize give-aways and legends in BMX, Skateboarding, Break dancing and Beat Boxing will all add to the mix.
Liverpool City Council has also launched a search for the best bands to star at the event.
An invitation is now open to the best musicians from indie to funk, rock to soul, hip-hop to metal to send in a demo which could see them starring on its live music stage.
Successful bands will earn themselves a slot at the festival, joining confirmed headliner, Liverpool hip-hop legend Young Kof.
Susan Whitehead, Event organiser, said: “HUB has really matured now and attracts the best urban performers from around the world – and we want the best of Liverpool to perform with them. The music search is open to anyone with heaps of energy, style and passion. Only the best talent will be selected to play at what promises to be a wicked weekend.”
Bands have until 10th March to apply with a biography, a completed artists’ contact form and a demo. A panel of music industry professionals will judge all applications and choose their favourites to play at the event. Full line up will be confirmed by Monday, April 6.
Application forms can be downloaded from www.hubfestival.co.uk
Highlights for HUB ’09 include:
• Animal Relentless Bike Tour with World bike champion Martyn Ashton
• Skate Park and vert ramp (demos by top BMXers and skaters, plus amateur comps) Boarders, BMXers and in-line skaters can try out gravity-defying ramps.
• Soul Powered International Break-Dance Championships – UK’s only open air international bboy & bgirl tournament brought to you by Soul Powered – with bboys and bgirls from across the globe
• Paint4Gold West Europe Heat– most popular graffiti arts contest in the world with crews across the UK, France, Holland, Belgium and Luxemburg painting on a giant 250 metre graffiti wall
• Live music with giant LED screen – music from all the best up and coming artists across the city including The New Haze. The festival will be a showcase for all types of music, from indie to funk, rock to soul, hip-hop to metal – with heaps of energy, style and passion.
• Nintendo Zone – Giant LED screens featuring all the latest games
• HUB Grub – outdoor BBQ’s, smoothie bars and free energy drinks
• Urban Village – Take time out from the ramps at the HUB Urban Village, where you can get kitted out in all the best gear. Purchase all the latest urban clothing and extreme sports equipment from some of the biggest brands around inc Animal & Skatewarehouse
• Goodies, Promos and Freebies Galore! – we’ve got thousands of pounds worth of goodies to give-a-way from some of the hippest clothes brands around including Etnies, Jeepnies, Ecko, Stussy, Zoo York, Boxfresh, Gumball 3000, Alphanumeric, Mecca, LRG and Apple Bottoms by Nelly
• Health & Happiness – Got a problem and want to talk to someone? Our experts will be on hand to offer free health advice and a friendly ear
Write4Gold – most popular graffiti arts contest in the world