Liverpool Art Prize 2011 at Metal, Edge Hill Station. 6 May – 11 June.
Viewing Thursday 5 May 18-21.00 All Welcome. Awards Ceremony Wednesday 1 June 18-20.00.
The shortlisted artists are: Bernadette O’Toole, Brendan Lyons, Richard Proffitt and Markus Soukup.
Now in its fourth year, the prestigious prize founded by top British art blog Artinliverpool.com, returns.
The Shortlisted Artists
• Brendan Lyons (www.brendanlyons.co.uk)
• Bernadette O’Toole (www.bernadetteo.tumblr.com)
• Richard Proffitt (www.richardproffitt.co.uk)
• Markus Soukup (www.thebluecoat.org.uk/gallery/markus-soukup)
Chosen from an open nomination process of over 60 artists based in Liverpool City Region, the shortlist represents the best and most cutting-edge contemporary art being produced in the region right now. Each artist has exhibited in the previous year and are connected to Liverpool’s leading studio groups. They represent a wide range of diverse visual art practices including painting, installation and film.
The panel of expert judges are:
• Laura Davis (Arts Editor, Liverpool Daily Post)
• Moira Lindsay (Curator, Victoria Gallery and Museum, University of Liverpool)
• David Jacques (Artist, winner of 2010 Liverpool Art Prize)
• Paul Domela (Curator, Liverpool Biennial)
• Paul Hyland (Exhibition sponsor, Duncan Sheard Glass)
On Wednesday 1st June they will judge the overall winner who will be awarded £2000 based on the work that will be exhibited at Metal, Edge Hill station. The exhibition will be curated by Metal Project Manager, Jenny Porter.
The winning artists will also be given the opportunity to show their work at the Walker Art Gallery. Last year’s prize winner David Jacques will be exhibiting ‘The Irlam House Bequest’ from 2 February to 12 May 2011.
There is also a £1000 People’s Choice Award chosen by the public voting at the gallery. Last year’s winner was painter James Quin.
Sponsors: ABW Architects, Duncan Sheard Glass, Arthur Diamond Design, The Gallery Liverpool, National Museums Liverpool, Ultimate Holding Company, Bill Elms Associates, McCoy Wynne Photography, Barefoot Wines.
See www.liverpoolartprize.com for more details