This might even be better than the outdoor version, at least we don’t need to worry about the weather.
CITY SET FOR LIVE MUSIC FEAST
Music lovers will be treated to a feast this Bank Holiday weekend as Liverpool prepares to showcase more than 500 live gigs.
This year’s Mathew Street Festival will see musician’s from around the world perform in more than 80 indoor venues on Sunday and Bank Holiday Monday, 26-27 August.
And every venue will be FREE – bar four traditional fee-paying venues The Cavern, Carling Academy, The Empire Theatre and View Two – as the city pays tribute to The Beatles and music from ABBA to Zappa and jazz to blues.
The 2007 Mathew Street Festival has been co-ordinated across four areas of the city centre:
* The Cavern Quarter – around Mathew Street, including Queen Square
* The Georgian Quarter – around Hope Street and Hardman Street
* Ropewalks Quarter – around Seel Street and Concert Square
* Albert Dock
Key venues include Mountford Hall, Jaxx, Krazy House, The Picket, Zanzibar, Heebie Jeebies, Barfly, Metro, Blue and Baby Cream.
The Picket actually kicks off the musical celebrations from 5pm tonight (Friday, 24 August) by hosting the Streetwaves acts, who won a music competition run by the Liverpool Culture Company. Some of these acts will also be appearing at Creamfields on Saturday.
Full 2007 Mathew Street Festival listings can be downloaded at: http://www.liverpool08.com/Liverpools800th/MathewStreetFestival/index.asp
There will also be a children’s funfair in St John’s Garden’s on Sunday and Bank Holiday Monday from 12noon to 5pm, which includes rides and craft workshops. And at 1pm on Monday, the Liverpool Giant, which will lead the 800th birthday pageant on Tuesday, August 28, will be named in the gardens. There will also be extreme rides from 11am-6pm on Castle and Cook Street.
Major Road closures for the 2007 Mathew Street Festival will be:
* Castle Street, Cook Street, North John Street: 6am Sunday, 26 August – midnight Monday, 27 August.
* William Brown Street: 6pm Saturday, 25 August – 8pm Monday, 27 August
* Churchill Flyover, Dale Street, Moorfields, Rumford Street, Victoria Street, James Street, North John Street, Lord Street, Stanley Street and Fenwick Street: 9am-11.59pm on Sunday, 26 August. Then repeated between 9am-11.59pm on Monday, 27 August.
* There will also be a number of smaller streets in these areas that will be affected.