Liverpool Screen School
Faculty of Arts Professional and Social Studies
Title: Lecturer or Senior Lecturer in Media Production (Appointment to Senior Lecturer will be determined by level of academic experience)
Grade: Grade 8
Salary: £39,324 – £48,327 per annum
Hours: Full time
Contract length: Permanent
Location: Redmonds Building, although staff may be asked to work in any location within the University. Mobility between locations will be subject to the exigencies of the service.
Closing Date: 07/04/2017
The appointed person will be expected to make broad contributions to the academic work of the Liverpool Screen School.
Core Research Responsibilities:
- To contribute to the development, implementation and delivery of research strategies which align with the University’s overarching research strategy and which will benefit the School / Institute and the University in the short, medium and long term.
- The main objectives for the post will be to:
- Initiate and conduct internationally recognised research and scholarship which is eligible for inclusion in the Hefce Research Excellence Framework exercise or similar external research quality validation exercises
- Disseminate research through appropriate channels including articles in journals of international standing and internationally recognised conferences
- Promote and evidence the wider social, cultural and / or economic impact of their research through appropriate engagement with external stakeholders
- Collaborate with colleagues to identify and secure external funding through research grants and contracts and in developing collaborative research incomegenerating ideas
- Engage in the research culture of the University, through an ongoing programme of workshops, seminars and conferences to promote research activities at School / Institute, Faculty and University level
- Ensure that the research activities of the School / Institute are integral to the learning experience of all students
Core Academic Teaching Responsibilities:
- To ensure an excellent student learning experience through:
- Planning and teaching courses in line with LJMU’s Learning Teaching and Assessment strategy, Academic Framework and quality requirements
- Lecturing/teaching/assessing at all levels and evaluating teaching and learning practice
- Leading on/contributing to programme / module development and curriculum review.
- Working with colleagues to support a strong academic programme identity
- Producing teaching materials informed by current research that motivate and inspire student learning
- Making appropriate use of technology to support learning and teaching, e.g. LJMU’s VLE
- Supervising and providing support and guidance for student learning activities, such as work-based learning and research activities and, where appropriate, placements
- Marking/assessing assignments and examinations and providing timely and constructive feedback to students
- Responding to student feedback and taking action on this
- Providing academic support and guidance for students
- Participating in ongoing professional development and evaluation of practice relating to learning, teaching and assessment in line with qualifications and experience, changes in subject/discipline, pedagogic development and innovation in learning technology. This includes participating in the improvement of teaching through the University’s observation and peer review schemes.
- Appropriate professional development support for teaching and learning matched to individual’s qualifications and experience will be provided by LJMU
Post Specific Duties:
- Contribute to lectures, seminars, workshops and one-to-one student support for practical modules
- Teach a range of technical skills as well as offering an area of specialisation in one or more of the following: motion graphics, compositing, rostrum camera, multimedia, multiplatform, cinematography (including lighting design), sound, editing, post-production, production design, directing and producing
- Supervise production projects/dissertations
- Contribute to extra-curricular and enterprise media projects connected to both the university and the local community
- Contribute to team recruitment activities (Open Days, interviews and outreach in local colleges/schools)
- Undertake and establish networking duties with local and national creative industry partners
- Work alongside the media production team in delivering the undergraduate curriculum and developing / delivering a new Masters Programme
- The appointee will be allocated other academic duties, commensurate with the grade, as deemed necessary by the Director of the School / Institute.