Knowsley Cultural Development & Events
Gallery Volunteer Opportunities
at Kirkby Gallery
About the opportunity
Knowsley has two of the best contemporary art galleries in Merseyside at The Kirkby Centre and Huyton Library. In addition Prescot Museum focuses on the local history of the area, including the important clock and watch making industry.
The galleries display work by local, regional, national and international artists including touring exhibitions from the Hayward Gallery, Arts Council, Knowsley’s Annual Open Exhibitions, schools, and community arts projects.
Knowsley council also works in partnership with other arts agencies to deliver exhibitions such as Liverpool Biennial and pan-Merseyside projects
What we are looking for?
We are currently looking for volunteers to support us with invigilating our exhibitions in Kirkby Gallery, to ensure that a member of our team is present in the galleries at all times, to monitor the gallery and exhibits and help any visitors to the gallery with any questions.
So if you like the arts, enjoy talking to people and have a regular day in the week spare, we would love to hear from you.
A positive, alert and attentive attitude when dealing with the public and gallery visitors.
We ideally are looking for people who have a regular full day or half day available per week, in which to invigilate our galleries.
All new volunteers will be supported and undertake their role, alongside either one of the gallery staff or another volunteer invigilator, so as to ensure there are 2 volunteers at any one time in the gallery.
In return for your support and because we believe in offering quality volunteering experiences, we offer our volunteers the following:
- We pay reasonable travel expenses.
- We provide up to £10 per day for refreshments in ‘Poco Cafe’ in the Kirkby Centre building.
- Volunteers are entitled to 25% the label price of anything on sale in any of our exhibitions.
- We take all of our gallery volunteers out on gallery visits across the UK, as a team social and research-based day out.
- For volunteers who want it, we offer professional / arts development guidance
- All volunteers are invited to our VIP events and private views.
- Volunteers will be part of our membership to the ‘Northern Museums Volunteer Pass Scheme’ entitling you to free access to many museums and heritage venues across the North of England.