Art in the city
Final year art and design students showcase work across Liverpool
Various Venues and Dates from May 16 to June 26 2008
To mark Liverpool’s reign as the 2008 Capital of Culture, LJMU will be showcasing the work of its talented art and design students in venues across the city. During May and June, you will be able see the work of hundreds of up and coming artists in venues ranging from cafes to car parks.
The eagerly anticipated annual Final Year Degree Shows are a great place to spot emerging artistic talent and visitors will be spoilt for choice with exhibits ranging from illustration, fashion and textiles to architecture and fine art.
Martin Downie, Director of the School of Art and Design, said:
“We are taking the art school out of the University and onto the streets of Liverpool as part of the capital of culture celebrations. Some great reputations have been launched at these shows in the past and this year visitors will be treated to some of the best new work in the region.
“These shows are a taster of what people can expect when we move into our new Art and Design Academy later this year. From drinking a cup of coffee in the café to looking emerging and more established artists, we want the Academy to be located right in the heart of Liverpool’s creative and cultural life.”
The Degree Shows will showcase work by students in:
- Architecture, Interior Design and Product Design: Friday 16- Sunday 18 May, LJMU (Clarence Street).
- Fashion: Two catwalk shows will be held on Tuesday 20 May, starting at 5pm and 8.00pm in the Grey Space, West Africa House (25 Water Street, Liverpool L2 0RG).
- Graphic Arts: Friday 16-Wednesday 21 May, Static Gallery (23 Roscoe Street Liverpool L1 9JD).
- Textiles: Friday 23- Monday 26 May, Static Gallery (23 Roscoe Street Liverpool L1 9JD).
- Fine Art: Thursday 19 June – Thursday 26 June. The Fine Art Degree Shows will be held at a variety of locations across the city: Arena House (Duke Street), Duke Street Car Park (near Arena), top floor & basement of the Mello Mello Café Bar (corner of Parr Street/Slater Street), Tito’s (Slater Street), International Gallery (Slater Street), Wolstenholme Building (opposite Cream).
The Degree Shows represent the culmination of three years of learning, research and development by LJMU art and design students, and are expected to attract thousands of visitors, including professional artists, designers, potential future employers and supporters from the creative industries.