The School of Art
Continuing our series of exhibitions celebrating special events in the history of Warrington Museum, this exhibition celebrates Warrington’s School of Art which was originally housed in the museum from the building’s opening in 1857. Originally organised by the Mechanics Institute to provide education that would allow young artists to find employment in industry, the school flourished to become one of the finest in the country, with its students achieving more scholarships than most other art schools of the time.
As well as examples of watercolours and other media from graduates of the School of Art, examples of other artists’ work from the Museum’s collection are featured.
Image: Old Cheapside, Warrington, 1864 by George Sheffield