Liverpool Mad Pride – Circus of the Absurd
Saturday 21st April, 3pm – 9pm
District, 61 Jordan Street L1 0BP
Drop whatever it is you’re doing this Saturday and join a cavalcade of artists, acrobats and musicians at District (61 Jordan Street, Liverpool L1 0BP) to celebrate Mad Pride: Circus of the Absurd! This annual free event, taking place on Saturday 21st April, 3.00-9.00pm goes from strength to strength and is now a mere 5 days away. Organisers Liverpool Mental Health Consortium say:
“Mad Pride is a global mass movement of people with lived experience of mental distress, survivors of mental health services and their allies, that began in Toronto. It seeks to reclaim terms such as ‘mad’ and ‘nutter’ from misuse. It aims to educate but, most of all, it celebrates & stands in solidarity with those who experience distress. Our line-up this year is more diverse than ever before and we’re delighted to announce the set times for the day”
- 3pm – 3.30pm: Liverpool Samba School
- 3.40pm – 4pm: the Strumbrellas
- 4.15pm – 4.40pm: Loose Moose
- 4.50pm – 5.10pm: The Silver Liners
- 5.20pm – 5.40pm: Loose Moose
- 5.50pm – 6pm: Freefall Circus
- 6.10pm – 7pm: A performance smorgasbord curated by the Secret Circus includes music by Bejia Flo, burlesque by Claire De Lunacy, & Ruby Dagger’s side show + many more
- 7.10pm – 7.30pm: Leebo Luby presents Farrucchio Peru Is Extraordinaire (extract)
- 7.40pm – 8.10pm: Mamatung
- 8.20pm – 8.30pm: Jodiema
- 8.45pm – 9.15pm: Chanel & the Circus
Be prepared for a flash mob experience from international performance ensemble Teatro Pomodoro.
In keeping with the theme, punters can make their own hula hoop and practice their skills with Freefall Circus, as well as poi-making and performance with Bring the Fire Project.
Why not join the circus-themed Fancy Dress competition? Organisers Liverpool Mental Health Consortium say, “While fancy dress is not compulsory, it’s very much encouraged!” They’re hoping to see bearded ladies, lion tamers, clowns & all sorts of costumes! There will be prizes for the best costume and runner-up. Everyone is welcome and you’d be mad not to join in!