Deadline: Friday Midnight 25 September 2015
As part of the wider flora exhibition project originated by Oriel Davies flora.orieldavies.org we invite professional artists working across any medium from Wales and further afield to apply for an exhibition residency, taking place at Llantarnam Grange Arts Centre from 16 January – 12 March 2016.
We are looking for an artist with an established practice and a demonstrable practice profile who has specific interest or proposal in relation to the subject and context of the flora exhibition project. From common weeds to exotic cultivars, flowers have been deeply embedded in our lives throughout history, and not least as a powerful inspiration to artists. With the flower at its core, this project comprises a touring exhibition of nine artists work, new commissions and two residencies. Together these offer diverse interpretations of flowers as powerful commentators on cultural, historical, geographic, social and scientific ideas today.
The artist will be selected on the basis of the originality of their approach to the residency opportunity, interest in the venue and the overall project, and their wish to extend their practice in this context.
WHEN: 16 January –13 February (Residency) and 13 February – 12 March (Exhibition / presentation)
FEE: £6,000 (to include artist fees, production costs and all expenses)
DEADLINE: Midnight Friday 25 September 2015. You will hear by Thursday 8 October 2015 if you have been selected for interview (no feedback can be given for unsuccessful applicants)
INTERVIEWS: Are currently planned towards mid-end October 2015 at Llantarnam Grange Arts Centre.
WHAT: The flora Commission Residency requires the artist to produce a new piece of work in whichever medium is appropriate to that artist, to present it as an exhibition or presentation between 13 February – 12 March 2016 in discussion with Llantarnam Grange Arts Centre and Oriel Davies.
It is expected that the resident artist will spend a minimum of 15 days at Llantarnam Grange Arts Centre. They will be expected to research and develop work making contact with staff and interact at given points with visitors to Llantarnam Grange Arts Centre (both during the residency and exhibition).
We require that the residency artist shares their experience during the residency through the flora website and Llantarnam Grange Arts Centre’s own communication avenues.
WHAT IS INCLUDED:
- £6000 commission residency fee (to cover artist’s fees, production costs, accommodation and travel expenses)
- Contact time with the staff at Llantarnam Grange Arts Centre
- Project Review with Llantarnam Grange Arts Centre and Oriel Davies during the residency period
- Gallery space (for residency and exhibition)
- Publicity and promotion as part of wider flora project
- Publication recording this and another flora residency as part of a wider publication supporting the whole project.
- Ongoing advice and support from Oriel Davies and Llantarnam Grange Arts Centre
We will consider applications from:
- Established artists living and working in Wales and other parts of the UK
- Individual artists or artist duos
- Undergraduates and students in full time education are not eligible to apply
- No other applications will be considered
The residency artist is expected to have their own public liability insurance.
HOW TO APPLY:
Electronic applications only.
Please complete application form available at flora.orieldavies.org/residencies
Completed forms and additional material should be emailed to:
Alex Boyd Jones firstname.lastname@example.org