Call for Artists, National Trust
We are looking for…
- Conceptual art installations that are innovative or artistically challenging to tell the story of Margaret Dawson and Beatrix potter
- Visual art projects that can be in a variety of media e.g Sculpture, graphic art, light installations, projections, etc.
- Commissions that ideally people can interact with to encourage social interaction.
The focus should relate to one of the themes and incorporate the sub-themes as listed below:
Initial Provocation (to be positioned on drive way or at entry)
- What was the convention for women at the time?
- What level of control did they have over their lives?
- Does this convention still influence women’s lives today?
Perspectives and preconceptions
- Piecing together the story of Margaret Dawson: protagonist in a story recorded mainly from her husband’s perspective.
- Beatrix Potter away from Hilltop and the ‘little books’.
- Some things haven’t changed – convention still influences women’s lives today.
‘Daughters of the north’
- Both Margaret Dawson and Beatrix Potter had established northern ancestry.
- Both had families who had recently increased in wealth in the industrial and mercantile north.
- Margaret Dawson’s family (the Prestons) had repeatedly prospered in the north and sometimes lost wealth / status before – in some cases restoring it through advantageous marriages.
Beatrix Potter: quietly progressive.
- She came across some gender barriers i.e. not taken seriously in certain scientific circles.
- She worked around these to achieve her goals i.e. through others including men.
- She achieved some goals ‘for everyone’ i.e. support of the National Trust.
We are ideally looking for 3-4 projects costing £2000-£3000, or several smaller projects. However, if a submission is significantly more but exceptional then we would be willing to increase the budget.
Timeframe and process:
Artists are encouraged to visit the castle to view the spaces available and get a feel for visitor flow, just get in touch.
Submission of ideas with estimated cost by the 24th of October to firstname.lastname@example.org
Installation: 26th of February