Big Draw 2007
It’s back and better than ever!
National Museums Liverpool is offering a series of free Big Draw events throughout October 2007. Pencil in the dates and get your sketch books at the ready, there’s plenty to draw in the crowds and get your creative juices flowing
The Big Draw is an annual event that encourages adults and children to express creativity through drawing. Over 1,500 events are held nationwide in venues such as schools, museums and shopping centres aiming to make drawing a fun and accessible pastime for people of all ages.
With 18th century masters, giant spiders and legendary life models, there’s no shortage of inspiration at National Museums Liverpool’s events:
• Stimulate your senses with treasures from Japan, Tibet and Vietnam in Mysteries of the East at Weston Discovery Centre, World Museum Liverpool on Saturday 6 and Saturday 13 October, 2-4pm.
• Draw dragonfly’s wings, giant spiders and the biggest seed in the world with artist Dennis Spicer at Fantastic Plants and Animals at Clore Natural History Centre, World Museum Liverpool on Saturday 13 and Sunday 14 October 1-4pm.
• Be inspired by the ideal forms of ancient Greek sculpture and Liverpool’s legendary life-model June Furlong Drawing Ancient & Modern at Walker Art Gallery on Saturday 13 and Sunday 14 October, 1-4pm.
• Celebrate Black History Month with Black Inspiration workshops with artist Tony Phillips at Merseyside Maritime Museum on Saturday 13 and Sunday 14 October, 1-4pm and innovative drawing events led by Vincent Cleghorn at International Slavery Museum on Saturday 20 and Sunday 28 October, 12-4pm.
• Lady Lever Art Gallery is opening up its special exhibition galleries to budding artists for a whole month. Drop into the gallery’s Drawing Centre throughout October and help create a huge mural or leave a postcard with a drawing of your visit. Or join the fun harvest festival themed workshops in Harvest your Creativity on Tuesday 23 and Thursday 25 October, 1-4pm.
• Heads are everywhere at the National Conservation Centre. Statues, toys, portraits, photographs … staff – all just waiting for you to draw! Add your picture to the Head to Head gallery. Open throughout October 10am-5pm
• Drawing is not boring! Spray, scratch, stamp, and squiggle, anything goes, just have a giggle! Every Monday in October National Museum Liverpool’s Community Partnerships team will be offering Big Draw outreach workshops to community groups in their own venues.
Sessions will take place between 10am and 2.30pm.
Interested groups please contact Helen MacBryde on 0151 478 4818
Watch out for your drawing on the web!
The best drawings produced during October will be added to an online exhibition on National Museum Liverpool’s website: www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk.