Litmus – part 1, Oriel Davies Gallery
Deadline: 1 March 2017
Open to emerging artists based in Wales and the Border counties.
Litmus is a 12-month programme of new artists’ commissions at Oriel Davies between May 2017 and April 2018. Litmus – Part 1 is the first call for commission proposals for the period 20 May – 19 July 2017.
Litmus offers commissioning opportunities alongside professional development and networking while widening the Gallery’s audiences for new, innovative and experimental contemporary visual art. The initiative focuses on commissioning and presenting the work of emerging artists based in Wales and the Welsh Borders through a series of innovative exhibitions and presentations.
We are keen to hear from practicing visual artists whose proposals make innovative use of the current TestBed space as well exploring potential other spaces in and around the Gallery or even online. As part of the commissioning process artists are expected to give a talk or present their work to an audience.
The Litmus artists’ commission programme will be developed working with an up and coming Artist Curator, who will work alongside and be supported by Oriel Davies Curator, Alex Boyd Jones, and other members of the gallery’s team.
The TestBed space is small, yet adaptable and measures 158cm (w) x 212cm (l) x 219cm (h). The space can accommodate a variety of work, from video and installation, to sculpture, time-based and wall-based work.
There is a commission fee of £600, with an additional £400 for production, materials and expenses.
Applications must include:
- A completed Application Form – Download here…
- An outline proposal (up to 2 sides A4*)
- A curriculum vitae (two pages maximum*)
- An artist’s statement (400 words maximum*)
- An equal opportunities monitoring form – Download here…
- Visual documentation of three example projects:
- Supply maximum of three digitised still images from each project, saved as jpg files at 300dpi (each file no bigger than 2mb each).
- For AV / moving images, please provide a link via Vimeo, YouTube, website, etc. together with the relevant password/s.
*Documents should be provided in Word or pdf format
All proposals should be returned by email to email@example.com with the subject heading: Litmus Commission – Part 1
For further information about Oriel Davies visit www.orieldavies.org.
If you’d like an informal discussion about Litmus, please contact Alex Boyd Jones, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Litmus is supported by the Arts Council of Wales