Rabbit, rabbit, rabbit
Chinese New Year in Liverpool
6th February 2011, 11am – 4pm
China’s cultural heritage is alive and well all year round in Liverpool which is home to one of the oldest Chinese communities in Europe. Chinese New Year is celebrated in the streets around the Chinese Arch on Nelson Street.
The arch is the perfect backdrop for Chinese New Year celebrations this February as the city waves goodbye to the Year of the Tiger and welcomes the Year of the Rabbit.
Celebrations will take place on 6th February in the Liverpool Chinatown area including Nelson Street, Berry Street, Great George Street and Great George Square.
Prepare to be entertained by dancing dragons, unicorns and lions, special firecracker performances and Tai Chi demonstrations. The event is also a great opportunity to enjoy a variety of Chinese food and traditional New Year delicacies.
With something for all ages, don’t miss traditional performances at the Pagoda on Henry Street and Wah Sing Chinese Community Centre on Duke Street; and the Lion, Dragon and Unicorn Parade along Berry Street and Nelson Street. For more information on Liverpool’s celebrations, call 0151 233 2008 or visit www.liverpool.gov.uk/chinesenewyear
- Traditional Lion, Dragon & Unicorn Parade – 11:30 – 15.00, Nelson St & Berry St
- Firecraker Display – 13:00, Great George Square
- Taste of China Sunday Street Market – 11:00 – 16:00, Great George Street
- John Collins Funfairs – 11:00 – 16:00, Nelson St & Great George Street
- Acivities and entertainment at St Lukes & The BlackE – 11:00 – 18:00