Another event for your diary – always good fun.
Saturday 5 June 2010
1pm, City Centre
Liverpool’s Lord Mayor’s Pageant will be a celebration of Health and Wellbeing and full of colour and creativity when it starts from Pall Mall at 1.00pm on Saturday 5 June.
After its successful re-launch last year as an environmentally friendly event, this year will again be pedestrian, pedalled and pushed to promote Liverpool’s Year of Health and Wellbeing.
The theme of the pageant will be ‘Healthy Mind: Healthy Body’ with Liverpool City Council is launching a competition to find three new diverse community-based groups to be featured in the event.
Liverpool’s Lord Mayor for 2010-2011, Councillor Hazel Williams, said: “This year’s event will be truly spectacular. The new Lord Mayor’s Pageant is a great way for people to give to charity, have a great deal of fun and show off Liverpool’s uniquely diverse communities at the same time.
“We are trying to give this year’s event a much healthier emphasis and all the themes will fully reflect this. I hope people will come along, give their support and be wonderfully entertained with a tremendous display of costumes, music, dancing and entertainment with such a positive message.”
Pageant themes include:
- A calm section featuring Tai Chi performance (linking with Shanghai Expo), snail racing, cloud gazers and dancing gardeners with plants in wheelbarrows!
- A healthy eating section with a performance kitchen of comedy chefs, knife tricks and giant fruit juggling acts.
- An Global community section promoting mutual aid and international friendship
- Urban section from street dance to sports and circus skills all promoting healthy circulation!
- An Eco section with a dazzling array of ingenious pedal powered contraptions, in celebration of sustainable energy backed a street brass band
- A Wild Imagination section featuring Superheroes/heroines made from children’s designs with the superpowers to create a Better Future World. (10 winning designs to be selected through a city-wide primary school competition.)
The Lord Mayor’s Pageant starts in the City Centre at 1.00pm – 2.00pm approximately